PDA

View Full Version : Travelling from the States....

projectvalver
05-12-2006, 09:34
Im going New York tomorrow :) what is the baggage allowance if i want to bring things back from the US?? Say if i bring a new mobile phones back?? Do i have to pay VAT/Tax and all that c**p when i get back in the UK?

What the deal?

Lee :D

ian711
05-12-2006, 09:49
i bought shed loads of clothes when i went to new york and didnt have to pay any tax on them. but i believe there is a limit on how much you can buy before you have to pay tax.

someone else may know more on this

FATBOY
05-12-2006, 11:03
will a yank phone work in the uk tho????? i know you can shove an english sim in it(but would have to be unlocked?) but are the phones on different GSM frequencies(correct me if im wrong?) in different countries?

J o n
05-12-2006, 12:00
if it's tri band or whatever it should do, may need it chipping... couldn't be sure though.

iirc it's 50lbs coming back for the weight limit.

clowo16v
05-12-2006, 15:01
Theres a weight limit, and if you bring phones back you should really pay tax as if you've got more than one you're obviously gonna sell some. Best thing to do is just wrap em inside your clothes in the suitcase and go through no items to declare. I've never been checked once and i've brought loads of bits back. Brought an engine block back in a suitcase once lol.

Matt

fasterthanjesus
05-12-2006, 16:17
175 is the limit on goods.

best bet is to have items "unboxed" or "de-labeled".

you will get jeans (mostly levis) for a good price.
you will make a steal on some electical goods. (ie ipod).

projectvalver
05-12-2006, 16:17
Knowing my luck ill get caught.... Thing is right if i buy a shed loads of clothes how can they prove that you brought them in the US?? Ill just take the tags off LOL :D

lewis_willy2
05-12-2006, 17:33
on the mornin tv with lk 2day they where saying £145 gonna be double next year tho