PDA

View Full Version : Learning the trade ~~ rally navigation

cliorod
23-11-2006, 01:24
I have been to our committee meeting tonight,and told them about a nice bunch of chaps and ladies :lol: 8) :lol: ,who drive Clios,who might be interested in Motorsport :roll: :roll: .
So I (we) propose to put on an night,at our local Cricket club ~~ serves beer :wink: :wink: .Where we have 3/4 navigators who will show/help/teach anyone FREE OF CHARGE :) :) ,The basics etc of our craft,If there is enough interest,We will then put a Navigational Scatter event on,were you use your own car etc.However to do this,you must be a member of our motorclub :wink: :wink: ,and pay the appropriate fee for insurance.
Bascally it is a recruitment drive for the next generation of drivers/co-drivers/navigators.Please come down and have a chat~~ if rallying is not your scene,we(I) can help in other motorsport fields,The guys have volunteered,to put back in to the sport,some of the enjoyment they have had over the years :cry: :oops: :cry:
We can get the Cricket Club any Wednesday,so any interested parties please pm or contact me,with a preferred date.
The navigational scatter is planned for the 7th Februaary ~~ so plenty of time to learn :wink:

MatBrown
23-11-2006, 02:27
Shame your so far away from me.

Mat.

Jimmie1.4RT
23-11-2006, 02:30
Superb.
Will certainly be asking about this when I giving you a call Rod, sounds good!

northy
23-11-2006, 08:33
Mmmm i might come along.

fasterthanjesus
23-11-2006, 11:09
count me in!

arj256
23-11-2006, 18:22
Shame im the wrong end of the country, would of been interested in this.

nyk
23-11-2006, 18:47
defo interested in this.

Any date I'll make myself available.

rochdale_williams
24-11-2006, 13:49
yep, count me in on this.

VIPERONE
24-11-2006, 17:21
Rod, im up for this.. what scale OS are u using?

1:25000??

Used to run Nav ex's a lot , its a twat in a desert.. no landmarks..and the marked roads are usually covered in sand,

cliorod
25-11-2006, 02:07
Gunner matey,
We use 1:50,000 2cm to 1km ~~11/4" to 1 mile.

How does the 13th DECEMBER sound to you people :roll: :roll: ,or would you prefer to leave 'til after Xmas,We will run as many "lessons" as you require :lol: :lol: ,provided the numbers make it viable for the club to open.Totally informal,the aim is to get people out competing,without getting p**sed off,not knowing what to do.
Looking at using EARBY CRICKET CLUB,You will need,a pencil/rubber and an OS map,I will get the number required of the guys doing the Nav/Scat,then it will not cost too much.On the run out,some experienced navigators and me !!!! :wink: :lol: ,will be on hand to navigate for drivers etc etc.Again all will be revealed on the 13th,ANYONE at all interested in ANY form of Motorsport,please come along and ask how to get started.
Just to name drop,the new PWRC Rally World champion team owner is a member and a very good friend ~~ do not think he will let us loose in his cars though :cry:

VIPERONE
26-11-2006, 23:50
ahh 1:50000 are military spec maps..cool. my contact in the forces canget maps with addition features on hehe

do you supply the roamers lol and do i need to calculate the magnetic variation...also do u use mils or degrees?

if you can get me the map series number i'll try get a fewmaps sent to me..

Jimmie1.4RT
27-11-2006, 00:55
Yep, it'll be the 1:50000 OS Landranger (purple ones availble from WH Smiths).

I've got map 103, count me in.

Will probably need to get your own roamer Gunner, demon tweeks do them, I got mine there. Plus they come in handy for future use. Don't forget a couple of torches and if you're really posh, a potty lamp for map reading is the biz'. 8)

cliorod
27-11-2006, 23:30
Ok people :wink: :wink: .
I have got the room booked for this pre-cursor,to letting you lot loose on the finest Lancashire fell roads,for the navigational scatter :twisted: :roll: :twisted: .

I have had to alter the date so.

TUESDAY 12th DECEMBER @ 8:00 pm

EARBY CRICKET CLUB ~~ APPLEGARTH STREET ~~ EARBY :wink:

I will post directions later on ~ nearer the time.Totally informal,PLEASE COME AND ASK any questions you have,I will assume that none of you have ever used a romer or an OS map :oops: :oops: .And start from there.

You will need OS Maps 103 & 98 for the Nav Scatter in February,so bring 'em along on the night :wink: :wink: .

Oh,just in passing an old mate of mine,and ex British Champion Co~ Driver to Jimmy McRae,Tony Pond,Roger Clark,Henri Toivenen amongst others,has said he will come and assist me,~~ one IAN GRINDROD :roll: :lol: :roll:
Any questions please PM me or contact me on the Forum.

It will cost you nothing except the fuel to get there :wink: :o and ANY Motorsport related questions are welcome.
Rodders

cliorod
02-12-2006, 13:06
For those that intend to come to this,I have broadened the Itinary of the night :roll: :roll: .
As well as there being instruction/advice on Rallying in general ~ driving/navigating etc. :wink:
I have asked one of our local MSA scrutineers to attend,a great bloke, :wink: who will help you on matters to do with getting your car through scrutineering :roll: :roll: ,Also he will advice on the various disciplines of motorsport.
Maybe of interest to those,who want to go Sprinting/racing etc etc.
:twisted: :twisted:

2 live
02-12-2006, 14:27
what time will it be finishing mate....i have to be in work at 10 pm....in oldham.

cliorod
02-12-2006, 14:57
John,
no set finishing time :roll: ,come and go as you please :wink: :wink:I can arrange more as/when required.
Just get the info you require etc etc.I do not know the level to which we will be talking,you could all be "budding" SEB LOEB's :twisted: :twisted: or PHIL MILLS :wink: :wink:
Just hope,enough attend to make it worth while for everyone :roll: :roll:

VIPERONE
05-12-2006, 17:36
:lol:

looking forward to this, i'll br fresh from my driving course lol

i'll give you a ring in the mean time.(rod)

cliorod
06-12-2006, 00:00
Ta for that "Gunner"looking forward to a good old natter :lol: ,the list of experts,I have "gangstered" :roll: into coming gets bigger.I have had a word,with the my mate,who has his own small machine shop,and car preparation business.He has voulunteered to come down,and offer advice on how to get good gear at the right price etc etc.ie what bits of other cars etc.He got some 4 pot PORSCHE brakes and made them fit a Peugeot 106 :o :o His current project is building a 911 :lol: for historic rallying.He put the WRC Hyundai brakes on my Clio :lol:

cliorod
10-12-2006, 20:28
Hi Folks,
Thought I would leave this til late(ish) :lol: :lol: .
Ok the venue ~~

EARBY CRICKET CLUB :wink:
THE APPLEGARTH
WILLIAM STREET
EARBY
BB18 6NN

Map Reference ~~ :cry: Os map 103/906464 ~~ please do not slag me off if the reference is a tenth out :roll: :roll: ,I have lost all my Romers :cry: :cry: ,to plot it 100%.

If you get stuck,plz ring my mobile 07952377880.

MAPS,Required OS Maps 1:50,000 (latest editions ~ If possible).
Numbers 103 (Blackburn :cry: & Burnley :twisted: ) and 98 ( Wenslydale & Upper Wharfedale)

A soft pencil or two,rubber etc etc,notepad

Romers ~~ I have ordered 5 from Demon Tweeks on Saturday,so they should be here :wink: .

I hope you will support the night,The guys I have asked are giving up there time !!!!.
Remember if you do not ask I /WE (Professionals) cannot help.
Please do not be intimidated by asking questions ~~ no matter how trivial you think they are,We are a friendly lot :roll: :) :D :lol: ~~Just come and enjoy ty.
Rodders.

fasterthanjesus
11-12-2006, 10:29
i will be there.

stew
11-12-2006, 11:45
wish i could be there. seems very good of you to put on a night like that.

shame im 300+ miles away! :evil:

Jimmie1.4RT
11-12-2006, 13:42
I'll be there!
Anyone else coming from Huddersfield direction?

cliorod
11-12-2006, 22:33
Stew,
I have been into Motorsport for over 30 years :oops: :oops: .During which time,my links with the Motor club,have enabled me to meet some "proper" stars,all through links with Renault aka Tim Jackson ~~ Renault Motorsport UK icon :roll: :roll:.I have rung him up and asked for a celebrity guest,for the interclub championships,our club has won :lol: :lol: (7 times ~~ 5 on the trot).
Now for the name dropping ~~ I have been fortunate enough to have dinner ~~ pre-presentation night with.
DAMON HILL (When he was with Brabham ~~ test driver for Wiliams)
DENNIS NURSEY ( Brabham team owner)
TIM HARVEY
ALAIN MENU
ROBBIE HEAD
TIM SUGDEN
TONY JARDINE,

And a few "locals :wink: :wink: Ian Grindrod,Phil Short ,Tony Mason,

Our club also won the SHELL INTERCLUB NATIONWIDE MOTORSPORTS QUIZ,plus the £5k :wink: :wink: :wink: first prize was presente by Jimmy McRae,with his sons Alastair and Colin in attendance :wink: :wink: .

So my theory is ~~ If I can put back a tenth of the pleasure I have experienced,from my Motorsport connections,and the successess I have achieved,I will be happy.
Nights like this can be a success ~~ only if we get the people there ~~ It costs "F**k all" to put on,just my mates turning up to help out. :wink: :wink:

cliorod
13-12-2006, 18:58
Hi guys,
Just to thank "2Live" and "Faster than Jesus" :lol: :wink: for turning up,A bit dissapointing :cry: :cry: .But I hope it was of benefit to those two.
I am going to put another navigation night on sometime in Mid ~ January.
Thanks again guys
Rodders :wink:

fasterthanjesus
13-12-2006, 19:58
should be a "local" event for february this. 2 hours of driving/navigating good roads and then a natter afterwards.

im up for the nav/scatter run. some good roads at that end.

you wont get a better organised "run out".

thanks to rod/alan and the rest of em.

(see you jan and feb).

2 live
13-12-2006, 22:01
yeah nice 1 for organising that rod.....think my navi skills need a freshen up ;) lol

found a few things out that i wanted, and hhow to go about finding out the other stuff i wanted....so yeah...was a good nite for me.

thanks to jack and the boys for giving up their time as well.

oh........get me a a beam breaker for ur next hillclimb ;);)i take it that was faster t an jesus i spoke to very brieflytowards the end too?? if so nice to meet u mate, albeit a bit rushed

fasterthanjesus
14-12-2006, 12:13
yep.

hopefully see you at the feb scatter run. (with some others from here!)