PDA

View Full Version : Building pcs

MAXIBOY
16-10-2006, 13:29
anybody have any experiance of building computers etc. want to build a intel core 2 duo (kentfield ready) machine and was after any advice or tips etc

J o n
16-10-2006, 13:44
what do you need to know? building PC's is easy, chosing the parts I find the hard bit... its a fookin minefield.

rt_blackpool
16-10-2006, 13:49
what do u need to know maxi? if u get stuck at all pm me.

Plattsy
16-10-2006, 15:26
theres that many parts on the market now adays its difficult to choose, actually puttin the pieces together is easy though

fasterthanjesus
16-10-2006, 15:57
if you dont know what your doing, you can get one built at your local pc shop for little more than it costs to do it yourself.

that way, if you have issues, you have somebody to go back to. if you have issues by self building a one off, you are in the lap of the gods.

get the motherboard, memory and chip from a reputable local shop, get them to set it up.

add your own hdd and videocard to suit (making sure youve got the relevant connections ie sata etc).

VIPERONE
16-10-2006, 17:30
i used to build pc's as a side earner when i was in the RAF, I still do builds for friends and family.

best thing to do is buy your parts online try:
www.scan.co.uk
www.cclcomputers.co.uk

scan have today only deals which are worth looking at.

you'll need,
case, motherboard, mouse cpu fans heatsinks graphics card etc

MAXIBOY
16-10-2006, 19:42
cheers every one. yeah assembly is easy its picking all the bits that will work well with each other really. want a powerful pc for lots of video work.was thinking along the lines of asus P5N dh delux motherboard intel X6800 chip with thermalight ultra 120 cooler and running two X1950,s in crossfire. just not sure which power supplies hard drive makes etc will work best of if it makes any difference and i should just buy on price.

Joel
16-10-2006, 19:50
Buildings a pisser just getting parts that r compatiable together

Coops
16-10-2006, 21:55
make sure you get fastest hard drives you can (highest rpm), and get em RAID so you can stripe em and get the data flowing nice n fast if ur gonna be doing alot of video work.

power supply, just make sure you get one with plenty of connectors, its easier and more effective than adding blocks later and get a mega wattage one, they aint that pricey really considerings its basically the lungs of the system! 8)

Daz.
16-10-2006, 22:11
Love building pcs its always a piece of piss - never have any money to do them these days, no-one in my family wants to upgrade :evil:

Scans always a good place to buy from - I pass it everytime me and the lass are going to the middlebrook and its always hammered

FlamingMonkey
16-10-2006, 22:20
**** Scan they are smelly shite product selling bastards.

Take 10 Ram modules all from scan, you'll end up with 11 faulty, thats how shit they are.

Cheapest around here thou.

Laine_16v
16-10-2006, 22:30
www.overclockers.co.uk

www.ebuyer.co.uk

2 very good places for parts, and http://forums.overclockers.co.uk full of nerds waiting to help you with computer problems.

1fast6
16-10-2006, 23:09
don't use overclockers they are overpriced and have an awful returns policy.

i personally haven't had a problem with scan.

Don't bother buying a system now just waiting until kentfield is released in mid november along with a whole new set of mobo's from asus and gigabyte.

The chip you are after will be called Core 2 Extreme QX6700. This will drop first at 2.67Ghz but the performance will be a massive step up from a conroe chip.

Again by the time Kentsfield is released, G80 (Geforce 8800GTX) will also begin shipping. Bag yourself two of them if you have the money.

By this time you will need a 1000w PSU. Not that many available but make sure you get one as two G80's are quoted to be needing 700W+

Windows XP doesn't handle 4Gb of RAM very well so stick to 2GB of PC8000 1000Mhz DDR2.

Hard drive performance is crucial as it is the slowest bus in the system.

If are already looking at buying extreme edition intel cpu's then you need to be looking at 8/12 port ARECA SATAII Hardware Raid controllers and buying however many Western Digital Raptor Hard Drives you can. RAID 5 will be Ideal for this. Don't use RAID 0 as Coops suggested, it's pointless unless you don't care about your data and unnecessary when you are spending decent money.

The rest is personal preference.

MAXIBOY
17-10-2006, 11:39
will the new mother boards be any better. the p5w dh deluxe supports kentfields and crossfire etc and is already extremely well speced. will the newer ones be that much better. i,m asking as i need the pc now and i could always upgrade the cpu later when prices drop a bit

VIPERONE
17-10-2006, 20:51
pah amd all the way, for value and stability

unrealneo
17-10-2006, 21:27
pah amd all the way, for value and stability
Bit out of the loop eh? :?

Intel is damn good value for money nowadays with Core 2 setups, considering the performance.

1fast6
19-10-2006, 16:53
Don't get me wrong the P5W is a good board. But if you are willing to shell out on extreme edition CPU's then you should be looking at Workstation motherboards.

The P5W64 WS Professional is excellent. Quad PCI-e, Quad core ready etc.

MAXIBOY
20-10-2006, 15:28
but it does not come with the media ready remote and do i need four graphics cards

nyk
20-10-2006, 15:36
Gimme a mac anyday!!

I work on 2 at work all day, plus I have a mini mac.

J o n
20-10-2006, 15:56
best advice I can give you is dont bother building one. I've done it for years and you can actually get a PC already done to the spec you want for cheaper these days. I'd buy a Dell or a HP tbh, you can get them with all the bits you want anyway.

nyk
20-10-2006, 16:01
yeah Dells are really reasonable, we have them at my works. Plus these bare bone systems can be OK and a bit easier too.

1fast6
21-10-2006, 11:08
but it does not come with the media ready remote and do i need four graphics cards

You shouldn't be buying a board because it comes bundled with a certain gimmick. I'd rather have 4 cards in SLI than spend stupid amounts on an extreme edition cpu.

1fast6
21-10-2006, 11:14
best advice I can give you is dont bother building one. I've done it for years and you can actually get a PC already done to the spec you want for cheaper these days. I'd buy a Dell or a HP tbh, you can get them with all the bits you want anyway.

I disagree. With a cheap system yeah fine but with a high end box an OEM will always be more expensive and restrictive on the parts. I.e. dell don't offer ATI cards or AMD CPU's on the XPS systems. You have to use their own motherboards etc, crap quality memory designed to run only a standard clock etc.