PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem - any Clio Williams 1 in SW London?

jquin
27-09-2006, 13:49
I recently bought a Clio Williams 1. Really enjoying it but the clutch seems extremely stiff. It's quite uncomfortable in traffic and is stiffer than my other car which has 12 cylinders and 450bhp to deal with. It's not slipping at all and the car has only done 48k. Would really like to try someone else's to see if it's just mine. Anyone around SW London?

Or - anyone have any good ideas what else could be causing it? I bought it from it's first owner who took it back to Renault when he first got it to see if there was a problem with the clutch. They told him it was normal but just can't believe it.

Thanks,
Jonathan

pat_986
27-09-2006, 14:01
Yes they are very stiff, your could be worse if it is on its way out, mine was on my valver, never slipped once, but one day it exploded.

Best bet is try someone elses for a comparison, you may need a new clutch, there is a soft peddle convision iirc, uses a longer peddle/differnt pivot point, from a volvo i think.

fasterthanjesus
27-09-2006, 16:08
ive had two clutch problems.

tight clutch pedal - was the cable on its way out.

clutch slipping (during hard acceleration) - was the clutch.

some people have put a sports clutch on, which is apparantly much firmer under foot.

hope this helps.

stan
27-09-2006, 16:21
they are quite "stiff" normally.

cable condition, and routing can cause stickiness.

seanofnp
27-09-2006, 17:20
Mine used to be so hard it would make my leg ache after driving in trafic.

Changed clutch, problem solved. Light as a feather, same with my mates williams 1.

That was on my valver btw.

BristolSam16v
27-09-2006, 22:12
mostly likely a non-genuine clutch cable mate! They are generally heavy anyway so you might need to try another williams with a genuine cable n see how tht feels. If its lighter then u know u got a crap cable in ures!

Ahmed Bayjoo
27-09-2006, 23:49
when i went to seans to get a few bits and peices his clutch was very light compared to mine.(i think he had only had his on for bout 3 weeks)

im still on the original clutch and my williams has done 55k, i did find it kinda heavy initialy but i think ive just got used to it. but i dont drive my williams as an everday car so maybe thats why it doesnt bother me just yet.

if u want i live in north london, i can meet you somewhere and u can have a feel of my clutch, if it feels the same then i suppose thats just how they are.

but there is no harm in getting a new clutch it will b a lot lighter still