PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid vs 106 GTi

dan-hipgrave
23-06-2006, 14:22
Ive finished running in the Williams engine now, so today i had my first play against a mates 106 GTi - this car is stupidly quick, its one of them cars thats abnormally quick - when it was standard he pissed all over my valver, and its now cammed, chipped and got a full exhaust system (can beat Teg type R's, 182's, loads of stuff a little 106 shouldnt beat!)

Anyway, today we had a blast down some country lanes, and then onto a main A road, and i kept with him all the way, we are exactly matched which i am so happy with!!

Oh and ive decided i need to get some decent tyres - ive currently got the most budgety budget tyres in existance, and i had the clio spinning changing up in third lol. First gear has to be feathered all the way otherwise it will sit and spin :lol: :twisted:

Dan

Daz.
23-06-2006, 15:35
Ive finished running in the Williams engine now, so today i had my first play against a mates 106 GTi - this car is stupidly quick, its one of them cars thats abnormally quick - when it was standard he pissed all over my valver, and its now cammed, chipped and got a full exhaust system (can beat Teg type R's, 182's, loads of stuff a little 106 shouldnt beat!)

Anyway, today we had a blast down some country lanes, and then onto a main A road, and i kept with him all the way, we are exactly matched which i am so happy with!!

Oh and ive decided i need to get some decent tyres - ive currently got the most budgety budget tyres in existance, and i had the clio spinning changing up in third lol. First gear has to be feathered all the way otherwise it will sit and spin :lol: :twisted:

Dan

I had that problem last night but in the rain - needed a quick getaway out of a roundabout and started panicing when i'm in third spinning away and not going very far!

bill.
23-06-2006, 15:43
what specs the hybrid mate?

dan-hipgrave
23-06-2006, 16:50
Fully rebuilt to standard spec Williams engine, JC5 box, powerflow stainless cat-back exhaust system, decat and ITG filter in standard airbox...Oh and no rear seats lol

I know it sounds like i should've beaten him, what with it being an 105,000 mile 106, but this car is super fast for no apparent reason so im happy to be even with it lol

bill.
23-06-2006, 19:00
nice one, sounds like a rapido 106!

Andy P
23-06-2006, 19:01
Had her spinning in 4th before :P

His car probably would have been quicker on standard cams tbh, they seem to go shit cammed up.

sounds good though, get some simple breathing mods on there and have another go

dan-hipgrave
23-06-2006, 19:07
Ive got Jenvey throttle bodies and lumenition management sat in the shed, will have a rematch when they are on :twisted:

Neil1587
24-06-2006, 23:31
His car probably would have been quicker on standard cams tbh, they seem to go s**t cammed up.

I'd agree with that comment 'if' the 106 in question hasn't had a good remap as they do run crap with just cams as the fuelling is all over the place. With a good remap (e.g. chipwizards), cams (pt51's, piper 285's, cat cams 708's), mani/exhaust/decat/filter), these engines should see between 150-160 bhp.

My vts ran shite on 708's before I had it mapped by Wayne Schofield and wasn't any faster than when on std cams. You could really notice the difference after mapping though, pulls much harder from around 5000rpm to 7800rpm limiter.

dan-hipgrave
25-06-2006, 10:52
Well this 106 hasnt been specifically mapped for the cams/exhaust etc its just a universal 'superchip'. It idles pretty lumpy because of that, maybe i'll suggest to my mate that he gets a proper setup..

Neil1587
25-06-2006, 11:26
There's more to be had out of that 106 then if it is only running an 'off the shelf' superchip. I'd imagine that chip is doing next to nothing! Any idea of the spec of cams he's running, and what year the gti is?

You can map the std ecu on these cars, but models with a 3-plug ecu are apparently more difficult to map than the single plug ecu. Wayne schofield (chipwizards) has mapped quite a few vts/gti's and have seen some good gains. My vts was mapped by wayne and made 159.6 bhp@fly, 136.4 bhp@wheels on his rollers. One of the first vts' to be mapped by wayne was running around 142 bhp@fly (pt51's/exhaust/mani/decat/filter) before mapping, 160 bhp@fly after!

dan-hipgrave
25-06-2006, 11:29
Its an R-reg GTi (1998) - i know he's had problems in the past with chips/ecu's as they are coded or something, and he had a Group N chipped one that wouldnt work with his car as it was locked or something..

I dont know what spec cams they are, possibly group N...

VIPERONE
25-06-2006, 22:46
group n is not a spec. but a catagory of rallying.

obviously your getting at rally spec/race wild cams.

kj16v
26-06-2006, 00:30
Ive finished running in the Williams engine now, so today i had my first play against a mates 106 GTi - this car is stupidly quick, its one of them cars thats abnormally quick - when it was standard he pissed all over my valver
Dan

Dan: So it wasn't just my valver then! When I mentioned getting beat by a GTI (Triss's) I remember everyone yabbering on about how mine being 'a slow one' (the general Williamclio excuse for not being as fast as some other car), but no his car is riduculously rapido! Probably why it keeps eating gearboxes!

I remember his car overtook like I was in reverse and gave my 1st valver a spanking like a naughty 1950's school boy when it was standard, so if yours can keep up now your's must be officially 'Stoopid Quick'!

You free one weekday evening Wed-Fri? Might pop down there.

dan-hipgrave
26-06-2006, 10:23
LOL i had heard about when he did your valver a few months back! Yeh he literally passed my valver like i wasnt moving - i was gutted!

He's put the 106 in storage after his racing clutch blew up! Its all fixed now though, but he's keeping it off the road as a second car.

You could pop down Friday afternoon, as ive got a halfday at work then, and so does Tris...

kj16v
26-06-2006, 11:05
Cool Friday it is then. I'll get in touch with Tris.

To all: Anyone else around Reading area wanna meet up?

northy
26-06-2006, 11:23
those 106's are rapid...struggled with a few of them when i went back out at FCS after missing half our track time.