PDA

View Full Version : Work - how to approach my boss

Kelly
03-05-2006, 09:19
Alrighty people. It would be of help if you read this and gave me your opinions on what to do.

I like the job that I do, but I'm not happy at the company I work for any more. I have been looking (only since last week) for a new position, obviously keeping this under wraps from the management here!

It may be a while until I find a job I want to do, and see no reason to jump from the frying pan into the fire so to speak, in moving to a job just as poo just to escape here (and it would look bad on my cv)

Anyway - I found out yesterday a more junior member of staff was being paid more than me, and for no reason other than the MD was in a 'good' mood that day.

I am determined to approach the MD about this, and very soon (we work in a small office, 8 in total). Armed with the experience I have in the field and the fact i've worked here 2 years longer, is there anything else I should be preparing to take to this meeting to fire at him?

Laine_16v
03-05-2006, 09:23
That is very harsh, id be pretty damn pissed off if i was in your situation, explain it to your MD but dont go mental at him, cos then you wont have a job at all! :P

Clio b
03-05-2006, 09:27
Its a tricky one! Purely because nobody should know what eachother learns! I have the same problem! A 17 year old started working in the post room about 6 months ago... i'd already been here over a year and found out she was on 2k more than me! to start!

If i were you i would try and have a civilised convo with him! Explain how undervalued it makes u feel etc!

Go for the girly approach rather than storming in and screamin!

Lunner
03-05-2006, 09:35
Been there done that......found out one of the lad who had onyl just started was on teh same wage as me, i ahd been there like 2-3 years.

Went to the boss and basically made soem shite excuse about me being part time, and him being full time, nowt happened about it apart from we all got a bollocking for discussing wages......although the next junior he took on he took on at a lower wage.

I also know for a fact that tehre are people working there older thean me being paid more than me simply becuase they are older....but hey ho what can you do

Kelly
03-05-2006, 09:45
Thing is, it wasn't the younger girl who discussed her wages with me lol, it was actually the accountant, and a director of our bigger sister company over a glass of wine (its who you know eh! lol)

So i wouldn't be dropping anyone in it.

I'll be asking for a meeting this afternoon when i'm a bit calmer

I think i'll just pull my finger out and find a better job asap too.

Clio b
03-05-2006, 09:50
i've got a new contract in june.... i've got a figure in my mind and if they dont pay me it then i'm walking! i been here nearly 2 years on absolute piss taking wage and we shouldnt have to put up with it! i'm gonna mention the little post girl in my meeting!

i think u shud arrange a meeting.... have a nice lunch and hot chocolate before! and dont take no crap from em!

good luck hun! :D

2 live
03-05-2006, 10:46
kick him in the nads n tell him if u dont get wot u want ul carry on....... :lol:

seriously tho.... id jus have a quiet word..but dont let on u know about the other girls wages until the last minute. tell him u want a pay rise, and if he says no point blank..ask why then some ppl in same office with less experience etc is on more than u.

i tried it not so long ago.....i wanted a pay rise....but then they told me im earning more than guys whov been there years longer than me lol.by quite a bit too....iv since found out that he is in fact telling the truth for a change lol.

j3ned
03-05-2006, 12:15
I would just walk out of the job - you may struggle for a few weeks financially but at least you will have your pride and you will have much more self respect for yourself in the future when you look back at what you did.

snakeylady
03-05-2006, 12:31
Had the same problem and also worked for a small company [10] tried the friendly approach and got nowhere so gave a weeks notice and got offered the first interview I went to at quite a bit more money! Don't miss the old job at all and am starting the new job on Monday - only proiblem will be not having internet access to log on here so often - but lots more money to spend on the car! :D Life is too short to be stuck in a job you are not enjoying - get out there and find a better one!!

Smokey McPot
03-05-2006, 12:58
I am determined to approach the MD about this, and very soon (we work in a small office, 8 in total). Armed with the experience I have in the field and the fact i've worked here 2 years longer, is there anything else I should be preparing to take to this meeting to fire at him?

Does this other person do the same job as you?

Also i would suggest you dont mention the fact you know the younger person is earning more. Earn it on your own merits, not because someone younger earns more.

Just convince him its in his interest to pay you more than to lose you.

dan-hipgrave
03-05-2006, 17:21
Ive been in the same situation as well - an apprentice joined our area at work and was on 3k more than me, even though i was training him! A quick word to my line manager, and then a letter off to HR and also my facility manager and im now on 3k more than him :D

As Smokey Mcpot said, convince them its better to pay you more than lose you - that was my approach and it worked well..

richy
03-05-2006, 18:38
we all know what we earn at my work lol, dont bother me tbh, i know others are on more but im not the lowest earner!

id personally go ask for a pay rise on the basis of your experience/ability etc

if they say no then look elsewere

J o n
04-05-2006, 08:54
Tell them straight, you feel undervalued as an employee and feel that this reflects your worth to them. try not to be negative, so tell them the things that you do that are above and beyond the call of duty and list how great you are. Once you have done all that then drop the bomb and ask them if it is fair that a junior member of staff is worth more wages. Then again remind them how you love your job, love working there but feel you have been treated unfairly. Sell yourself as though they would be stupid to make you leave and that after hearing some junior was better paid you feel as though you are being made to leave. Lay it on thick, they love that shit. Failing that then dont threaten them, but say you'll have to consider your position, as you are being unfairly treated. If they value good experienced staff they will have no issue throwing more money your way. If they say they will look at your performance at your next appraisal etc then say that's no good, that's what any manager with half a brain tells their staff... it's a lie, so get everything in writing if they start saying they cant do anything right now but can do blah blah blah in the future.