PDA

View Full Version : gear-f'in-box

lankyboy
15-04-2006, 22:57
right i have my valve on axle stands, sub frame outta the way, old box out, new box all lined up but will the f**ker go on, no!

its about an inch or 2 from the engine and wont go on any further any ideas on lining it up some more (and no theres nothing in the way) as im about to attack the car with a torque wrench or a crow bar! or cry!!

thanks

lanky

Rich
15-04-2006, 23:29
check the lining up round the starter motor area, it may be fouling the lining up

richy
15-04-2006, 23:44
is the clutch plate all in line so that the main shaft lines up ok? other then that pos wiring or any bits in way it should slide on

Anders
16-04-2006, 07:29
I agree with above, sounds like the input shaft from the gearbox is fouling when trying to engage with the clutch side. Make sure the clutch is central, but also as they are both splined try rotating one a little so the teeth line up.

The input shaft should be then able to slide nicely inside.

If this is already the case, then the only other thing that could stop it is the misalignment of the whole engine/gearbox combo, there is a guide pin coming from the engine (i think front lower part) that has to be lined up before anything else.

Twincam
16-04-2006, 09:55
Also try turning the gearbox shaft and trying again

Another thing to make sure is that you havnt got any dowls stuck in the engine and the box which line up in the same place

Dont want to get it nearly all the way on to find youv got 2 dowls wanting to go in the same holes

lankyboy
16-04-2006, 18:57
thanks for the help its all sorted now.

ive just got the small matter of vibration noise and a slight oil leak.

bloody renaults