Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: W1 Sales levels

W1 Sales levels

I'm trying to establish the current market price for the W1. In most cases there are plenty of cars for sale to use for comparable evidence but i haven't seen a W1 for sale for a while.
    Mine is no 092 with approx 70k on it having had a full mechanical overhaul. Photos of all the work. Good history, all the correct bits present
    Original car with no rust.Was resprayed prior to my ownership with photos.
    Interior is very good.
    Absolutely everything works.

Any ideas? im contemplating putting it to auction especially with the crazy prices GTi's are making.

thanks in a anticipation

I think the auction idea is a good one. (Was thinking of this myself.)

My theory is this - someone with a great big load of money in their pocket arrives to buy something like a F40, finds it goes for £100k more than they can afford, but they had/wanted/liked a Clio back in the day, and it rolls up with a reserve of £10k or something. What a bargain!

If you have two people in the room with that thought, you're on a winner because if you have that cash then £20k is still going to feel like a bargain to that kind of person. 70k is a little on the high side because that kind of person buys, or rather, invests, on mileage rather than condition, but it's probably okay.

You need the right auction Silverstone or above.

If it's exactly as you say. Original no rust condition is highly unusual.

But the answer to your question is as ever: it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. I think if you put it on the market at 10k you'd get your hand slightly bitten off, but if you put it on at 20k you'd get interest but not a massive load of offers. It's also a funny time of year.

Anyway, I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayli Carper View Post

If it's exactly as you say. Original no rust condition is highly unusual.
    Its been resprayed...

Quote Originally Posted by ianbirch View Post
    Its been resprayed...
    Yes. Paint not original. By original I meant unmodified and complete.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Forum User
    I've not gone to town with advertising at this moment, but mines got 88k on the clock, needs a little work with regards to the arches and a few other bits n pieces. I'm looking at 10k ono. I've a few people interested aswell ....a few people have laughed at that price and kindly said no chance , but it's a sellers market, finding a good/excellent example is becoming increasingly difficult. It's a win win investment, whoever buys it can't loose in my opinion.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I've not gone to town with advertising at this moment, but mines got 88k on the clock, needs a little work with regards to the arches and a few other bits n pieces. I'm looking at 10k ono. I've a few people interested aswell ....a few people have laughed at that price and kindly said no chance , but it's a sellers market, finding a good/excellent example is becoming increasingly difficult. It's a win win investment, whoever buys it can't loose in my opinion.

Dan
    Could you link to your advert please.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Forum User
    Not done a proper advert yet, just put a post on cars for sale and had people message me etc. If mine had been as good as yours sounds, I'd have probably gone auction myself to be honest.

Interesting to see an original* W2 up for a plain Ebay auction at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-CL...8AAOSw63FZ6mOk currently £8150 with six days to go no reserve mentioned which is refreshing. I'd say it's as roughly along the lines of your car as you can get by way of comparison (Yours W1+ that one W2--, Yours 70k- that one 49k+ or ++, yours repainted - that one Original +, so maybe add some on to yours, and potentially more in right auction on right day).

Also nice to see another broken spring on an MOT failsheet - has anyone's car NOT had a suspension spring break?

*So it says and I believe anything I read if I'm not buying it myself. I'd like to say it's the other way round when I'm buying a car but I think I go even blinder and less caveat emptor when I'm buying one than just speculating.

I'm not sure the non numbered cars have the collectability. It does look a very nice example and i hope it sells although im not a fan of non original numberplates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayli Carper View Post
    Interesting to see an original* W2 up for a plain Ebay auction at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-CL...8AAOSw63FZ6mOk currently £8150 with six days to go no reserve mentioned which is refreshing. I'd say it's as roughly along the lines of your car as you can get by way of comparison (Yours W1+ that one W2--, Yours 70k- that one 49k+ or ++, yours repainted - that one Original +, so maybe add some on to yours, and potentially more in right auction on right day).

Also nice to see another broken spring on an MOT failsheet - has anyone's car NOT had a suspension spring break?

*So it says and I believe anything I read if I'm not buying it myself. I'd like to say it's the other way round when I'm buying a car but I think I go even blinder and less caveat emptor when I'm buying one than just speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickymint View Post
    I'm not sure the non numbered cars have the collectability. It does look a very nice example and i hope it sells although im not a fan of non original numberplates.
    With you on the numberplates. I think you may well be right, and Ebay is the place for a W2 where it's more likely to attract someone, from a larger audience, who wants to buy it as a car. Somewhere like Silverstone is where someone would buy a W1 as an investment, from a smaller audience with a larger purse. I think they're comparable because I think the different markets could rest at similar prices. If you want a car to drive there's little to compare with a 1 and a 2, and if it's as original as it says it is (ask the people on here who have taken 'good' cars to pieces and seen what 'original' can truly mean) then that's worth a big premium over a restoration.

And as far as I remember the highest public price paid for a Williams was not for a W1.
    Last edited by Ayli Carper; 24-10-2017 at 13:41.