Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for all the useful pointers. I think the most useful things for us to look at (in no particular order) will be.........
    1.) Bonnet and boot lid
    2.) Lightweight battery
    3.) Remove headlights (have the Cup covers in place)
    4.) Remove horn (though it has its uses around the paddock etc)
    5.) Poly windows
    This lot looks like an easy c. 40-50kg.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by northy
    There are some underbody sump guards that weigh a lot protecting the brake and fuel lines.

Glass is heavy, u can get fibreglass doors, bonnet and tailgate.

Other than that I would say the exhaust backbox is another heavy part compared to a side exit?

Lightweight wheels a option?

Gaztwo has a fibreglass bonnet for sale if you pm him!!!
    We want to have a look at some aero improvements so will be looking to see if there is a way to smooth out the floor pan, and will be looking at a front airdam and splitter and possibly some sort of rear diffuser. Seems unlikely to yield much gain on a car of this nature, but we've spoken to some experts and they think we might be surprised !

We already have an aftermarket exhaust system of some sort, so I don't think there's a gain to be had there. Wheels might be worth a look though - reduction in unsprung mass worth double sprung mass so I understand.

Jamie

performance trim supplied my doorcard set, fronts, rears and boot panel

cant see fronts very well as never had a decent pic but they look schweet and weigh nothing

see rears here

Forum User
    I should have some 15" oz superleggera for a renault for sale soon if interested

Quote Originally Posted by Coops
    performance trim supplied my doorcard set, fronts, rears and boot panel

cant see fronts very well as never had a decent pic but they look schweet and weigh nothing

see rears here

I'm pretty sure Performance Trim have gone bust ! I've got one of their carbon bonnets on my Porsche and it's a piece of junk. My co-owner ended up having to cut his carbon doors in half and re-set them because the fit was so bad. Wouldn't go near any of their Porsche parts, and I can only hope their Clio parts are better .........

Jamie

the doorcards arent fit formed, they are just sheet carbon cut to shape and screwed to the door, cheap and cheerful

imo most c/f moulded panels are shite fit, i wouldnt touch any with a 10ft barge pole

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Summers
    There are some underbody sump guards that weigh a lot protecting the brake and fuel lines.

Glass is heavy, u can get fibreglass doors, bonnet and tailgate.

Other than that I would say the exhaust backbox is another heavy part compared to a side exit?

Lightweight wheels a option?

Gaztwo has a fibreglass bonnet for sale if you pm him!!!
    We want to have a look at some aero improvements so will be looking to see if there is a way to smooth out the floor pan, and will be looking at a front airdam and splitter and possibly some sort of rear diffuser. Seems unlikely to yield much gain on a car of this nature, but we've spoken to some experts and they think we might be surprised !

We already have an aftermarket exhaust system of some sort, so I don't think there's a gain to be had there. Wheels might be worth a look though - reduction in unsprung mass worth double sprung mass so I understand.

Jamie
    If you have not already - subscribe to track driver magazine. They are doing a feature on aerodynamic splitters

If you have not already - subscribe to track driver magazine. They are doing a feature on aerodynamic splitters
    Thanks Northy, yes I've got that - makes interesting reading. Had a good look under the car last night and it looks difficult to do much about smoothing the floor out due to the position of the exhaust and rear silencer. An original side-exit Cup exhaust might be worth investigating, which at the least would allow us to panel-in the under-boot area to stop the rear PU acting as an air brake !
    At the front it looks possible to make an undertray that would follow the legs of the front subframe all the way under the engine, which might help a bit.

Jamie

Have you looked at the engine to see what you can remove to save weight?

There's probably a fair amount of plastic and unnecessary bracketry that you could get rid of.