fuel pump wont prime again

bit of a strange one this

yesterday i was driving the car when it cut out, it then re started then cut out just round the corner. i checked to see if the pump was priming and it wasn't i checked the relays and the wiring all seemed fine, the RAC then turned up and between us we determined that the pump had most probably lost its impeller. we came to this conclusion due to getting 12v on ignition and on cracking to fuel pump plug and the car wouldn't pump fuel even when the pump was given 12v direct and could be heard to be spinning very fast.i have changed the pump and whilst testing both on the bench the old one spun faster than the new one, sounding like it had no resistance.

i swap the two pump and it still wouldn't prime, i again checked for 12v on ignition and cracking which the plug got, also put a direct 12v to the pump which it span and let the car start cos it pumped enough fuel to fail for it to start.

also the fuel gauge is not working when it was before it started to cut out.

it seems to me there might be a problem with the plug, is this common and what the best way to resolve it.

thanks in advance.

you sure the fuel gauge is actually working and you're not just .... out of fuel? :P :P

Quote Originally Posted by Matty86
    you sure the fuel gauge is actually working and you're not just .... out of fuel? :P :P
    im 100% sure cos i had quarter of tank when it cut out and rac didn't believe me cos the gauge wasn't working , so put £10 worth in. also when i removed the pump there is a shit load of fuel in it.

i just bypassed the plug using some small spade connectors and some wire. and it primed and started straight away. so it confirms its the plug that is at fault. i think it could have do this due to all the times its had a multimeter shoved down it when test for the last priming fault and this pump fault.

what's the best way of replacing it? getting a new plug and soldering it on or with little spade connectors.

the 2 pin plug on mine was dodgy for a long time

in the end i just cut it out and crimped the wires together... not pretty but I don't often remove the fuel pump!

is that a ph1 or ph2.

on mine its the 6 pin(one is blank) plug at attach to the housing that is having the problem.

is it all right to replace it just with spades instead of the plug or is it best to try a new replacement plug.

I would fit a replacement plug.

Mat.

mine is a ph1, so just a 2 pin connector for the fuel pump (live + ground)

Someones had a go at mine and its connected via terminal blocks now, i dont really want totouch it as i can see the wires falling underneath the floor pan andthen im ****ed.

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Quote Originally Posted by Laine_16v
    Someones had a go at mine and its connected via terminal blocks now, i dont really want totouch it as i can see the wires falling underneath the floor pan andthen im f**ked.

bodgetastic ^^ :P