Forum User

Removing Alternator

Hi Guys,

Gave my willy to a mechanic (cheap guy who works from home) for an alternator change.

I gave him instructions as from the guide on here but he could not get the aux belt loosened as the 7mm allen bolty in the pulley was seized. He did not want to apply excess pressure in fear of snapping the bolt. Any ideas how to do it?

I will take it to someone else but would be good if I could advise him of what to do in case he can not get it off. Really do not want to mpay to take the engine out etc.

Cheers

Forum User
    undo the top bolts to the inlet manifold, then the belt can be taken off

as above, simply remove the top alternator bolt that holds it to the plate on the end of the inlet manifold and bracket to block and loosen lower bolt to allow the alternator to swing into the block, belt should then slip off.

to retension it just prise the alternator back away from the block with a big screwdriver/small crowbar or similar until the top bolt can be popped back in

Long term solution would be to replace the faulty aux belt pulley. They do go, and mine has just done so.

It requires removing all the brackets around the PS pump, which means taking the alternator off anyway

If you do that, replace the water pump!

Quote Originally Posted by Coops
    as above, simply remove the top alternator bolt that holds it to the plate on the end of the inlet manifold and bracket to block and loosen lower bolt to allow the alternator to swing into the block, belt should then slip off.

to retension it just prise the alternator back away from the block with a big screwdriver/small crowbar or similar until the top bolt can be popped back in
    This worked for me :D although I just hung off it with one hand while doing the bolts up with the other to refit it lol