Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: radiator fan

Thats too much! Fan should start right after the next long line on that picture.

From my own experience, if it's pointing at the thermometer icon for more than 15 mins, the car becomes a geyser. That's a sure thing in summer, if the fan does not cut in at all and stuck in traffic.

If it cuts in late, it could be a failing fan-switch. If it cuts in normally but the needle climbs up to the icon and takes an age to come down, it could be a general cooling system problem such as ineffective fan, failing water pump, inefficient coolant, dirty fins or engine running too hot.

how much u looking at for a new sensor on the rad? also whats the damage on a new or recon rad,think mine is fooked,oil cooler poked a hole in it me thinks

When you leave your car running without a fan until it reaches the top of the guage with the red light on, all hell breaks loose!

Happened to me in my valver, left it running in a car park with the bonnet open and i didn't know the fan had stopped working. I started to smell burning oil so i started poking around the bay, the the cap shot off the header tank into the air and there was just a fountain of boiling hot coolant shooting up into the air!

This was the result:

The whole car was covered in it and was a total beeyatch to clean off!

Moral of the story... check your fan works!

^ Jesus, did that mark the paint work??

Slightly, it was a bitch to get off, but after a few washes later it was gone.

Stained the engine bay though, so i resprayed that when the engine was out!

Re: radiator fan

Quote Originally Posted by bendee
    when i got home i left the car running and it got the 4th major mark on the gauge so i turned it off the guy said the fan does work as he tested it but it doesnt seem to be working as its not kicking in.
    Please tell me you actually drove it around to get some air moving through the rad and cool it down, rather than just switching it off while it's already hotter than it should be

Quote Originally Posted by white16valver
    when i got home i left the car running and it got the 4th major mark on the gauge so i turned it off the guy said the fan does work as he tested it but it doesnt seem to be working as its not kicking in.
    Please tell me you actually drove it around to get some air moving through the rad and cool it down, rather than just switching it off while it's already hotter than it should be
    Don't think so!!!

Quote Originally Posted by white16valver
    He probably didn't, but he's sold it now anyway and has a black valver hybrid so not to worry!