Not a clio but still a renault

Got myself a Megane 225 in part-ex for my civic and I've got a problem with the xenon headlights

The xenon headlight on the drivers side isn't working, found that the bulb was broken so got a new one, put it in & it still didn't work.

I then swapped the headlights around - plugged the passenger side unit ( which worked perfect) into the drivers side & vice-versa. Had the same problem,drivers side xenon not working, the wiring etc on the passenger side worked perfect as did the drivers side unit that was plugged into that side. So I know there's nothing wrong with the unit itself.

So the next port of call was the wiring & fuses, got the handbook and it says go to a dealership to change the fuse piss off
Eventually found the 10amp fuse for the drivers side & saw it was blown. Changed the fuse and it blew straight away, cue my sparky(ish) mate with his multimeter. When he put it onto the bits where the fuse plugs in, it completed the circuit & the light came on....briefly...then off again.
My mate got a reading of 20 amps which then fried his multimeter

So to sum it up, the drivers side xenon headlight doesn't work as the circuit is drawing 20amps (or more) that's popping the 10amp fuse, anyone got any idea how to fix this?