Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    how is it possible to measure the resistance of the wires with the engine running ?

as surely you need to disconnect the connector

Forum User
    Stick the probes inot the connector plug.

Without knowing what you are measuring, i'm guessing you are measuring the resistance of a sensor, so you put one probe beofre the sensor, and one after it, and get a resistance reading.

TBH it really isn't that complicated, do it at idle and see how far out you are from teh readings, with the engine off you are gonna get no resistance i would have thought, at idle you are gonna get the 'base' values, and can't sit there on half throttle spot on for a few minutes lol, and if you have full throttle its just gonna be bouncing off the limiter, so by locical thought, common sense, and process of elimination, you do it on idle

i tried sticking the probes into the connector plug last time and it didnt work too well

if u cant use the voltage then why did chris post em? and yes u can blow a multimeter!! it is measuring resistance, u overload the mutimeter and it'll knock it out of calibration, believe me i've done it before and i aint doin it again cuz me old man was pissed when i fcuked it!!

so survey says unplug potentiometer plug on idle, stick one probe from meter into wiring loom plug end, and one probe into potentiometer plug end and set it from that for each wire colour?!

Forum User
    Who said anythign about unplugging it, if you unplug it you break the circuit, and get no resistance, as tehre is no voltage.

Knocking a multi meter out is hardley blowing it, lol. They have fuses in to stop them 'blowing'. if in doubt about knocking it out, use a really high scale, and go down till you get a workable figure

ah furry muff!!! am shite with testin electrics, tend to just go for it, dont like precise stuff!!! :D

some one else was sayin unplug it!! how else do u make contact with the wires? they are insulated and surely u bridge the gap with the two mutimeter prongs?

scrap that, if u do that u just measuring resistance of the bloody meter! damn i hate bloody electrics!!! can sum bugger write a step by step of this cuz am gettin well confused!! :P

Forum User
    stick teh probe inot the plug wherre the wire goes in

doh!! think i got it matey!

am just paranoid as **** about messin summit up n gettin funny idle etc! am a bit of a novice!! :D

Forum User
    Right i'll admit im wank with electrics.. can someone post a pic of a multi-meter set to measure resistance lol.