Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RSi Suspension

Forum User
    Only differnce betweeen RSi and 16v is the 16v sits lower as std, so a 60mm kit for a 16v will lower an rsi by more than 60mm, if you get my drift, strut tops are same through out teh clio range, and bottems bar hub spacing are only different for williams, whihc runs a higher degree of castor. Rsi hubs are 54mm hole spacing like a valver's bt they will prolly request teh spacing.

As for spring poundage the valver is likley to be slightly higher(but might not be) than teh RSi, but a higher poundage spring(within reason) is onyl a good thing

General rule with suspsenion is you get what you pay for, in most cases, ie buy a cheap kit and it will be shit, buy a more expensive one and it will be better

makes, sense.

Will see when ive got the money

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunner
    General rule with suspsenion is you get what you pay for, in most cases, ie buy a cheap kit and it will be s**t, buy a more expensive one and it will be better
    This is true but a bit of grey area when you compare std suspension of a performance car to that of a boggo hatch; an aftermarket RSI kit is probably on par with a std 16v setup.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by u33db
    General rule with suspsenion is you get what you pay for, in most cases, ie buy a cheap kit and it will be s**t, buy a more expensive one and it will be better
    This is true but a bit of grey area when you compare std suspension of a performance car to that of a boggo hatch; an aftermarket RSI kit is probably on par with a std 16v setup.

Since they use teh same after market shocks for the rsi as they use for the 16v, with possibly slightly differnce bounce and rebound rates (and i can never remember what teh 3rd variable is), but esentially they are the same shock.

Now standard williams set up maybe, but not 16v lol

Forum User
    I'm not talking about aftermarket vs aftermarket though - i'm talking aftermarket RSI vs std 16v and the assosiated cost issue;

Std RSI shocks are pap but aftermarket RSI shocks are miles better. However, std 16v shocks (since they are meant for heavier car and are more 'performance' orientated) are probably on par with the RSI aftermarket efforts and a damn site cheaper.

Since you can get a lowered low milage 16v setup for under 50quid thesedays it doesn't really warrant paying out extra for an RSI...thats all i'm saying.

Forum User
    So you are saying that the after market systems for a 16v and rsi are similar.

But you are saying that the after market rsi system is similar to a std 16v set up, so therefore there is no point in getting after market 16v suspension as its similar to to std

Rsi is all of 20/25(dependant on 16v version)kgs lighter then 16v

Forum User
    So you are saying that the after market systems for a 16v and rsi are similar.
    No i didn't, you were the one that said they use basically the same shock, not me.

But you are saying that the after market rsi system is similar to a std 16v set up,
    Yes.

so therefore there is no point in getting after market 16v suspension as its similar to to std
    No, theres no point in getting an aftermarket RSI setup as it'll be similar to a std 16v setup

Rsi is all of 20/25(dependant on 16v version)kgs lighter then 16v
    I'll take your word for that.

Forum User
    They are the same shock, spax or avo or who ever aren't goning to engineer a completely diferent shock for a car that is 25kgs heavier....are they?

TBH mate i think you are getting confused between your 16v and williams.

Std williams is on a par with after market rsi/valver stuff, 16v shocks are pretty much the same as the rsi shocks iirc, but the 16v sits 15mm(iirc) lower and possibly has slightly higher poundage springs, but since after market lowering springs will be higher poundage still, and since we all know if you just stick lowering springs it doesn't do much apart from with uprated dampers, then you get teh true feel.

Tell you what you taje a std 16v round a forner and i'll take me tweaked RSi round a corner and we;ll see which has most grip, my money is ont eh RSi suspension set up

Tell you what you taje a std 16v round a forner and i'll take me tweaked RSi round a corner and we;ll see which has most grip, my money is ont eh RSi suspension set up
    Umm id say the standard 16v setup considering i had the uprated rsi shocks on my 1.2 and my standard 16v is faster through the corners.

Forum User
    They are the same shock, spax or avo or who ever aren't goning to engineer a completely diferent shock for a car that is 25kgs heavier....are they?
    Erm well i think they do...the Spax catalogue certainly lists different part numbers. In any case, if the RSI was 'only' 25kgs heavier then by your argument renault would have fitted the same shocks to it as the 16v but they didn't...

Getting away from the point tho...std 16v shocks are uprated over RSI items and if they're capable of coping with the heavier car (on lowering springs or otherwise) then they're going to be relatively unstressed on an RSI. The being the case, and the fact they're cheap, it seems a bit daft to fork out the extra for 'RSI specific' items...