Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Check list...

Apart from the usual second hand car buying points what else should I be looking out for when buying a clio 16v?

I've forgotten eveything lol

Cheers in advance

Forum User
    rusty arches and sills, engine knocking.

Forum User
    oil pressure levels and gear stick movement (engine/gearbox mount worn) oh and gear selection ease after its been booted

I will talk from my experience when i hastily bought a Clio 16v which ive had to shed £100's on in repair. I will state everything that was wrong with mine so therefore you can have all bases covered :D

- Rusty sills as said beofre, really get underneath and look, ive been quoted £260 for new ones (fitted and painted). As mine were rotting.

- Rusty arches, mines arent thtat bad only very tiny bubbling on the surface. Give them a good yank to see if they are crumbling away (hopefully not :P )

- The thermostat, make sure the temp of the engine gets warm and stays there if you boot it dwn the motorway and the temp goes down the thermostat is knackered.

- Let the engine get hot and wait for the cooling fan to kick in, if it doesnt question why! Im having to replace the motor in mine £60 + 2 hours labour!

- The heater blower mine was broken. Rheostat and flug were corroded, £40 to replace and a few hours to do it. Check it works on all the speed settings.

- Do full lock on the steering while stationary. Listen for noisy PAS, any grinding in the steering wheel. Mine grinded and PAS sounded awful. Suspension strut bearings were knackered. £20 + A day to fit them.

- Look for rust under the boot carpets, and under the back seats. Mine has slight rusting under the rear seats, but very minor and nothing to worry about.

- Check the speedo, rev counter e.t.c works and all the bulbs work.

Thats all i can think of right now :D

clio16valver.co.uk - Mk1 Clio 16v Dedicated Club
    EVERYTHING!!

Forum User
    - Let the engine get hot and wait for the cooling fan to kick in, if it doesnt question why! Im having to replace the motor in mine £60 + 2 hours labour!

I ahve one sat in my garage you can have for £10 lol, and its no more than a 30 min job i wouldn't have thought, een if you do have to change the coolant and take the rad out

Fooking day to replace suspensionn tops, its prolly 30 mins absoloute tops, christ ic an lower a whole car including changing springs in an hour or 2.

You need to find another garage sounds liek they are ripping you right off

Forum User
    when u looking? i may be able to come assist viewing

leeky sunroof ?

if ur gonna buy one of these cars then be prepared to become a mechanic or they will bankrupt u!!! not jokin!!! when i got mine i joked with my mates it wud cause me meltdown n sure enuf fours months later blown head gasket!!! but same time av never had such a quality hobby than rebuilding the bugger!!!

look out for play in the steering nown fault.........