Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by malbon

Of course. Thats why i want me a Williams. What im saying though is if i wanted a dedicated race tool the last thing on my mind would be a f***king clio ! I wouldn't go out purposely to buy a 'valver' to strip out and tweak 150 brake out of just to run 14's in a quarter mile. I'd just go and buy some jap turbo s**t if drag racing was really my bag and waste all the clio's no ?

or am i missing something ??
    Agreed, but...

I don't think anyone on here just buys a Clio purely for 1/4 miling. Most buy them for track work and day to day usage as well, and I'm not sure there are many cars that can do all of those things combined particularly better than a Clio, for three grand.

It's not just the Clio either. IMO most hot hatches offer the best compromise of overall performance per pound (not exclusively straight-line speed, of course). A lot of it comes down to running cost too - they're cheaper to run and insure than a three grand Scooby. Most would choose a Scooby as a track car, but who can afford it?

And yes, you're missing out a large chunk of fun with fwd cars that can't provide power oversteer, but unfortunately, most track organisers and marshals don't take kindly to cars drifting around the entire track, so that's not such as issue (though yes, rwd is supposedly still the purer experience). Plus fwd cars are easier to drive fast, which invariable means people driving supposedley better cars get made to look stupid on track days. Frequently.

So that's why they're used for track day cars

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Matt! I mean a Skyline Gtr is a beast of a car up the 1/4 and round a track but whats more fun driving one round a track ...or chasing and overtaking one in a lowly clio PLus I have'nt won the lottery yet or I would probably have a gt-r ....heh but for now the clio will do!

Nicely put Zollo. Ill take that

Forum User
    think i hit a nerve with people there. just been round autosport international today picked up a few ideas on what to run and competitions to do so ill keep you posted, but what ever car i have also need to be used every day

any more ideas though keep them coming on different cars to have, but would prefer a hot hatch.

even the people i was talking to said the williams was the best out of the box track car and even one guy missed out on buying one on ebay last week