Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

I MADE IT AT LAST!!

Yep, I have finally touched down in Finland!!

A real slog of a drive north to Newcastle from Brighton, then a hell of a drive across Sweden (Gothenburg to Stockholm), finally getting in Turku Finland and another 5 hr drive further north to a place called Seinajoki.

It has been quite warm so far at -2, but last week it was around -8 during day and -15 at night...but the Willy took the journey well and the tyres are superb..plenty of grip. Not tried out the lake yet, as the ice isn't quite thick enough to drive on...you can walk on it though.

Getting pretty amazed looks, not sure if it is the car...the gold wheels...the exhaust or just the fact the steering wheel is on the wrong side...only downside is that the speed limit here in winter on roads around me is only 80kph....and the wheels will spin in the first 3 gears no problem.

Will post some piccies of the Willy in the deep snow soon for ya.

Hyvaa Joulua ja Onnellista Uutta Vuotta

-Andy

good to hear you and the car have made it in one piece mate, how do the williams handle in snow - never had the pleasure in mine yet ! :D

well done mate! new Finland rep northy

Hello mate. Glad you made the trip without incident. Can't say I'm incredibly jealous of those temperatures, but I'm sure that'll change when I see the pics of the Willy flying across an ice covered lake

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    well done mate! new Finland rep northy
    heehee might as well...ive made everyone else rep

sounds like fun, any skiing planned?

do you have to use different anti-freeze for over there ?

Forum User
    Thanks for the well wishes guys....

I am planning a trip to northern Finland (Lapland) for the New Year in a place called Levi for some snowboard action. Also this is where a lot of the winter car testing is done so hopefully get to see some prototypes driving around. Saw 2 camo Freelanders on the ferry all blanked up with the black masking stuff and had defo winter gear set-up with knock off big spots and studded tyres plus GPS ariels and radio fixed on too.

As for the anti-freeze...uuumm not sure as Type D states it goes to -21, but most of the cars there have aux 12v power points out of the front of the car so they can plug into power points. They have a little heater that is plumbed into the cooling system and as well as warming the coolant, it keeps it warm too.

All I have is a little heater pad stuck to the base of my oil sump which keeps the oil warm, and I am relying on the chunky Samcosport hoses to give some insulation protection when the temps drop below -20 or so. Bit dubious of the ally block cracking at some point, but I gotta try it.

The driving is OK, the tyres give plenty of grip even on ice but if you are a bit heavy footed then understeer and lift off oversteer is easy to induce. First 3 gears are ripe for wheel spin but I will just bide my time until the full on ice-lake driving is good to go. It is the lake outside my home so I can go all the down the driveway and straight onto the lake for some real fun!! Sideways, backwards...any which way you want...hazard free!

Send you piccies and movie when I go play later...

Forum User
    nice to see ya made it lookin forward to some good pics :D

Quote Originally Posted by Anders

I am planning a trip to northern Finland (Lapland) for the New Year in a place called Levi for some snowboard action.
    Or you could just make me jealous with that instead :(