would i be cheaper replacing my engine? (cambelt snap)..

just wondered if it would be cheaper to replace my engine rather than try and fix all the damage caused by a snapped cambelt?

ive still to have the damage assessed but if its gonna cost me over a grand to fix it all surely i would be better sourcing an engine from somewhere?

cheers

Tony

Forum User
    self fix:

top end rebuild is £90 from lochstich in rochdale...reskimmed etc etc.

new cam belt £20?

im in scotland mate, wish there was somewhere that does it all round here, or someone on here from scotland that would tackle it for me :(

every garage i go to they just laff and tell me to forget about it, i got told the other day i would be looking at 1500 to fix it all or about 300-400 for an engine and another 300 to swap it

if i had the slightest clue about engines i would tackle it myself but i dont know my arse from my elbow when it comes to engine which just makes it all the more frustrating

Tony

Forum User
    aha...pity!
    lol... its not the most major of jobs... just requires naturally the head off, inspecting and cambelt replacing+ headbolts...

how far is rochdale from ayrshire scotland?? lol at the rate im goin id be better towing it to england to let one of you lot point me in the right direction, up here no one wants to know

Forum User
    you'd be best to take the head off and have it sent in the post...rochdale is about 15 miles out of manchester.. perhaps a bit further

could a total novice get the head off? honestly i know nothing about engines except where the obvious things are ie. battery etc lol

either that i could get someone to take it off i suppose, surely that 90 quid ^ doesnt include replacing bent valves etc? which is prob what has happened

sure, you could take the head off yourself without too much knowledge. As for rebuilding it, it depends on how much damage has been done really. if a lot of the valves are bent it will cost quite a lot... best thing to do is take the head of anyway and see roughly what kind of damage has been done, then decide what to do from there. Plus you'll learn some about the engine too