Thread: Exhausts

Forum User

Exhausts

Currently i'm runnign what is basically a full race system, de-cat straight through centre section,a nd scorpion back box, only problem is i'm not sure f the lack of back pressure is loosing me power.

Anyone got any thoughts on this, and preferably some sort of sports centre section that i can borrow and get the car rolling roaded before and after fitting it to comapre

Forum User
    I seem to remember BenR saying something along the lines of backpressure is only really affected by the manifold...anything back of that doesn't make much difference.

Is that specific to these cars though u33?

I know the Pugsport 106 exhausts are proper pulse tuned jobbies. They have pea-shooter-like tail pipes.

What bore is it all Lunner?

Forum User
    Yeah, back pressure is really only effected by the tuned length of the primaries and secondaries. Ofcourse our 4 into 1 system doesn't have the secondaries, but I wouldn't of thought losing the centre section would do much in power gain/loss. Just noise more than anything as the lack of baffle plates wouldn't effect the frequencies.

Forum User
    IIRC its all 2.5", or 2.25".

Manifold is a pea shooter thing tho, need to clean the welds up at the end to release some more horses though.

Its a 4-1 manifold, and the pipes are about 1" diameter, that then goes inot a downpipe that is about 2" or 2.5" diameter, then the de-cat and system.

Was wondering about getting a larger bore downpipe made up, but again i'm not sure about loss of back pressure, if i could do it myself or get it done ont eh cheap it woudl be great to test, but i'm ****ed if i'm paying loads of money yo get one made up for it not to work and loose me power

Forum User
    Can't you fit a 16v manifold as yours is still an F-series engine. I'm guessing not properly but you might be able to bodge something?