Forum User

Another Cams thread

Hi,
    I am rebuilding my Williams, and have question regarding cams.
    Now the F7P engine is in the car with Megasquirt I v2.2 and Kentcams RN1603, bigger injectors and volvo flywheel.
    I am building an F7R engine now and would like to know if the KentCams RN1603 can be used in the F7Rengine (Megane engine).
    from the table the RN1603 has 278 duration for Int/Exh andcam lift 11,04 // full lift 106 degree Int / exh // LTDC 2,28 I/E
    the RN2003 has duration 278Intake / 258exhaust and lift 11,04 intake/ 10,64exhaust // fullift 106 dg Int/ Exhaust // LTDC 2,28mm I/1,50mm E

The Megane F7R responds incredibly well just by having standard Williams cams fitted so you'll be fine using those cams and see better gains than you would from having them in an F7P.

Going by the specs it would seem that the RN1603 is almost a match for the RN2003 so you'd want to use the timing setup shown for the RN2003 for them to work correctly

Forum User
    thanks a lot for the answer, and should it work with standard pistons ? or should t I make some changes so that the piston/valve do not hit together at tdc in high rews?

Odoslané z môjho iPhone cez Tapatalk

I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid, I think the only way to find out will be to assemble the engine with engineers blue paste on the valves, turn it over by hand then check with a borescope to see if it's marked the pistons.

I have Piper 300 in my F7R - Williams bottom, Megane head - which have 11.57mm lift but I don't have standard pistons so I can't be confident in saying if your setup will be ok or not with standard pistons

Forum User
    thanks anyway…
    so I should put the assembly lube on the exhaust valves and check if there is a contact if the piston is in tdc and the valve is fully opened?
    If there will be a contact do I need another pistons or is there some other way to fix it?

Not quite as the valves close before the piston gets to the top so having them held fully open will always make them hit the piston.

I meant fully assemble the engine - I know this is a hassle - with the cams timed up and the cambelt fitted and turn it over by hand, then do your inspection to see if the valves have touched or not.

If they do touch there's a few options to choose from, different cam timing settings, having the valve reliefs in the pistons machined or buying high compression pistons.

To be honest, my gut instinct is that I think everything will be fine but it's a lot of time, money & effort to take a chance on The best & most ideal thing to do is see if anyone else has used the same setup otherwise you're stuck with the full assembly, turn it over then inspection with a borescope or disassembly

Forum User
    thanks a lot for the answer. according to web site these cams are last which can be used with the hydraulic followers, so i would say it should work on std. pistons also.i have std megane cams and also some valver cams… so in worst case i can use those on another head if simething goes wrong….

Best thing to do with the Megane cams is throw them in the bin

Forum User
    ah ok
    then only the f7p are as spare cause my williams is 1of 3 pieces in the whole country and there are only 10-15 valvers maybe…