Power steering upgrades

Hi all

firstly happy fathers day all. Secondly, has anyone done an upgrade or is there an upgrade possible for the power steering? Drove clio yesterday first time in about 2 months still makes me laugh. But the steering is really heavy. I get its a 1995 powe steering set up just wondered if anyone had modernised or suggestions?

ashley

Erm the only upgrade I know of is to make the steering heavier by converting to manual steering as the power steering feels a bit too light

Mine has a problem then ha. Its heavy but then im driving and Aston Martin and a range rover at present maybe I am being spoilt 😂😂😂. Maybe a fluid change but does seem heavy than I like.

cheers mate hope you are well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley79 View Post
    Mine has a problem then ha. Its heavy but then im driving and Aston Martin and a range rover at present maybe I am being spoilt . Maybe a fluid change but does seem heavy than I like.

cheers mate hope you are well.
    They are heavy Ashley...Lee is just pulling your leg...at a standstill my previous Williams and my current one feel almost unassisted.

A fluid change may help as I haven't done this on either of mine.

Regards Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ianbirch View Post
    They are heavy Ashley...Lee is just pulling your leg...at a standstill my previous Williams and my current one feel almost unassisted.

A fluid change may help as I haven't done this on either of mine.

Regards Ian
    Only a slight bit of leg pulling but I do genuinely dislike how light the steering feels on these cars when driving them properly, the lightness is perfectly acceptable for pootling about but it's still very light & I'm not exactly built like Schwarzenegger

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    Only a slight bit of leg pulling but I do genuinely dislike how light the steering feels on these cars when driving them properly, the lightness is perfectly acceptable for pootling about but it's still very light & I'm not exactly built like Schwarzenegger
    Maybe mine and Ashley's need a fluid change or some other maintenance...how do you change the fluid as Ive never done it lol.

Cheers Ian

That's a good question as I've never actually done it either

I've only ever filled it back up after draining it all & having the engine removed & refitted so I'm not really sure what's the best way to do it tbh

I'd probably disconnect the pipe at the back of the reservoir & add some hose to it so it can drain into a bottle of some sort, block the hole left in the reservoir and fill it with fresh fluid & run the engine very briefly or crank it over on the key with the king lead removed whilst continuing to fill with fresh fluid letting the pump flush it all through then connect the pipe back onto the reservoir and fill back up & bleed it

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    That's a good question as I've never actually done it either

I've only ever filled it back up after draining it all & having the engine removed & refitted so I'm not really sure what's the best way to do it tbh

I'd probably disconnect the pipe at the back of the reservoir & add some hose to it so it can drain into a bottle of some sort, block the hole left in the reservoir and fill it with fresh fluid & run the engine very briefly or crank it over on the key with the king lead removed whilst continuing to fill with fresh fluid letting the pump flush it all through then connect the pipe back onto the reservoir and fill back up & bleed it
    Thanks Lee..will give it a go when I'm feeling brave enough lol.

Cheers Ian

Yes I was thinking take a hose off drain put back on and top up 😂😂😂

I get what you are saying though. The feel of the steering you dont want to light. On my AMV8 Vantage the feel is spot on and the sound although it is slow you do get a good road to steering feel. In the range rover it is light and boaty. Something in between would be nice. The clio is the oldest of the 3 so wondered if there were an upgrade kit. Not important as I wont drive her much.

I remember my valver back in the day the clutch on that was so heavy no one could drive it other than me. Which was a result 😂😂😂