Question Advice on my power steering problem

Hi all,

I had previously posted about this, a while back, I believe, but only recently I've had the time to look at it, as we just went back into lockdown, where I live. I tried flushing, using a hand pump, the old power steering fluid, but could only flush a little bit, and when turning the wheel, no fluid would go to where I could get it, so, I gave up and topped it up with new fluid. I recorded this video, after topping it up: https://youtu.be/xP8q4eYXP4Q

You can see that I'm turning the wheel, and when I do, there is a whining noise. What do you guys think of how it sounds? I don't have a lot of experience working on cars, but it sounds like the pump is running dry? Or with a lot of air? It sounds bad...

I'm trying to stay positive about this car, as it needs a lot of work, but I know my time and money will be worth it.
    Last edited by bruny06; 12-02-2021 at 17:21.

That's nothing unusual tbh, they do make that noise when taking it to the end of the steering lock & holding it there when the car is stationary. I'd only be concerned if it's any louder than that whilst driving

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    That's nothing unusual tbh, they do make that noise when taking it to the end of the steering lock & holding it there when the car is stationary. I'd only be concerned if it's any louder than that whilst driving

Thanks a lot for replying. The noise is present even when driving, and not just at full lock. Should I look at replacing the pump?