Using 195/50/R15 tyres on a Williams

Hi all,

Now, I know this has been posted here, many times, but I'd like to hear from the people running 195/50 tyres in their Williams and Valvers. Do the tyres rub against the inner arch, when doing a full lock of the steering wheel, or when going over bumps? I can see that there is a bit of plastic missing on both front inner arches, and I suspect that it was from tyres rubbing against it.

Many thanks,
    Bruno Andrade.

Quote Originally Posted by bruny06 View Post
    Hi all,

Now, I know this has been posted here, many times, but I'd like to hear from the people running 195/50 tyres in their Williams and Valvers. Do the tyres rub against the inner arch, when doing a full lock of the steering wheel, or when going over bumps? I can see that there is a bit of plastic missing on both front inner arches, and I suspect that it was from tyres rubbing against it.

Many thanks,
    Bruno Andrade.
    I have run 195/50/15 and they do not rub but they do feel different to the correct fitment of 185/55/15... I prefer the correct fitment.

Regards Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ianbirch View Post
    I have run 195/50/15 and they do not rub but they do feel different to the correct fitment of 185/55/15... I prefer the correct fitment.

Regards Ian

Thanks for such a quick reply. What tyre would you recommend in the standard size? I was looking at Michelin Pilot Sport 3's, as they seem to be a very good tyre, but they're in 195/50. Good tyres in the standard size seem to be a fair bit more expensive than a good 195/50.

Yes they are a bit more expensive but i think they're worth it.... from personal experience I would recommend Dunlop Blue Response ( fantastic in the wet) or the equivalent Goodyear. If you go on F1 Autocentre they do a good range in 185/55/15.

Regards Ian

I wouldn't recommend the Dunlop Blue response tbh, they're a cheap, nasty, fuel efficient (low grip) budget tyre

If you look on Camskill there's actually a decent selection of tyres available in 185 55 15 on there now which wasn't the case about 12 months ago, depending on what kind of use my choice would be Avon ZV7 for all round use or Yokohama AD08RS if wet performance isn't as important as dry

You'll only ever get rubbing on 185 55 or 195 50 if the suspension is lowered/modified by a lot or if something is broken so it's nothing to be worried about

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    I wouldn't recommend the Dunlop Blue response tbh, they're a cheap, nasty, fuel efficient (low grip) budget tyre
    That's very odd Lee because from my own use I've found completely the opposite... I've had them on my Skoda Superb and still have them on a Fiesta... admittedly I have not used them on any of my Clios
    but wouldnt mind trying them

Regards Ian

I'm probably being overly harsh tbh but they are rated quite highly for fuel efficiency which is the complete opposite of what I'd want on a car that gets driven in a spirited fashion, I've got them on my 172 Cup atm whilst the wheels are being refurbished & I've got zero confidence in them, they just don't have enough grip to have a spirited drive, there's a very significant difference between them and PS3's.

I can't give a fair assessment of wet performance between the 2 because the PS3's I've got are well & truly worn out

I'm probably being overly harsh tbh but they are rated quite highly for fuel efficiency which is the complete opposite of what I'd want on a car that gets driven in a spirited fashion, I've got them on my 172 Cup atm whilst the wheels are being refurbished & I've got zero confidence in them, they just don't have enough grip to have a spirited drive, there's a very significant difference between them and PS3's.

I can't give a fair assessment of wet performance between the 2 because the PS3's I've got are well & truly worn out
    Fair enough Lee.... I'll have to concede to your greater experience (I've never driven on track)... but the Williams has Michelins and I have no more or less confidence in them than the Dunlops....although the Michelins have never been driven in the wet lol.

Regards Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ianbirch View Post
    Fair enough Lee.... I'll have to concede to your greater experience (I've never driven on track)... but the Williams has Michelins and I have no more or less confidence in them than the Dunlops....although the Michelins have never been driven in the wet lol.

Regards Ian
    I've decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's in 195/50. Getting them fitted as soon as the car is out of the jack stands.