Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel arches

Wheel arches

What's the deal with the rear arches? I understand they are prone to rust. Correct me if I am wrong. I have bubbly surface rust (feels solid) on the drivers rear arch. Is not a major issue right now (wiring and door lock first). However I took the car to my body shop guy who I have used many times and he couldn't quote until he had a look at what rust was there/how severe. He said the wheel arch had been done already so assume it's not so bad. He then said for me to source a wheel arch and he will do the work. Is it that drastic. I though it would be a sand down job and respray. Also arches they common to source (let me guess FB 😜)

Welcome to the biggest problem & world of expensive pain for every single Mk1 Clio owner

Your body shop guy knows the score, impossible to quote on these until you know how deep the rust is and more often than not, it goes much deeper than what you can initially see and you can only really see once you start digging away.
    It's because of "sand down & respray" jobs done in the past that they need doing again - that's basically a bodge on these. The only proper fix is to chop out the rot & replace with fresh metal, if it's been done in the past and needs doing again you can be assured it is that bad and most probably a hell of a lot worse than what you can see

Arches are also a problem as the flared ones for the 16v & Williams simply do not exist, the only option is to source them for a lower spec Mk1 Clio and they then have to be massaged to fit correctly - the panels for those are readily available from https://www.carz2.co.uk/renault-clio...re-96704-p.asp

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    Welcome to the biggest problem & world of expensive pain for every single Mk1 Clio owner

Your body shop guy knows the score, impossible to quote on these until you know how deep the rust is and more often than not, it goes much deeper than what you can initially see and you can only really see once you start digging away.
    It's because of "sand down & respray" jobs done in the past that they need doing again - that's basically a bodge on these. The only proper fix is to chop out the rot & replace with fresh metal, if it's been done in the past and needs doing again you can be assured it is that bad and most probably a hell of a lot worse than what you can see

Arches are also a problem as the flared ones for the 16v & Williams simply do not exist, the only option is to source them for a lower spec Mk1 Clio and they then have to be massaged to fit correctly - the panels for those are readily available from https://www.carz2.co.uk/renault-clio...re-96704-p.asp
    Hi Lee...was there not some guy in France or Belgium that was advertising on the Williams Facebook correctly reproduced rear panels and sills... think the only downside was cost... something Gillem or Gullem.. soz the alzheimer's is playing up

Regards Ian

Maybe i am better off not looking at it haha. Out of sight out of mind TY for the info again appreciated. I will keep a positive mind and hope that its not so bad but will keep all posted as and when I get them done. MOT and service is booked for Sept so I will find out more about whats wrong/right with the car. i have managed to source a garage so can dry store and do some of the work on it in the dry and warm over the winter months.

Hi Ian

I guess cost is relative, as I am sure the car will be worth more with the rust gone. Initially its a pain but like most things hopefully you see the return further down the line. My proper car is a Bentley GT....Now thats a cost I can do without. Everything seems to be quoted in thousands and not hundreds!!!

My guy said about £400-£600 which I can live with if it fixes the rust issues. Just need to source the parts as and when.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley79 View Post
    Hi Ian

I guess cost is relative, as I am sure the car will be worth more with the rust gone. Initially its a pain but like most things hopefully you see the return further down the line. My proper car is a Bentley GT....Now thats a cost I can do without. Everything seems to be quoted in thousands and not hundreds!!!

My guy said about £400-£600 which I can live with if it fixes the rust issues. Just need to source the parts as and when.
    I found the guy who was making the panels he's on Facebook as Racer Guihom but he appears to have removed his posts so maybe he's not doing them now.

I can't believe you will get it sorted for £600 but i'll be pleased to be proved wrong... I think you need to talk to Phil Walker... you can get him more easily on the Facebook page.

I have wanted to buy a Bentley Continental GT for a long time but good sense has always prevailed lol.....although I keep on looking at them.

Regards Ian

I think you are on kickback from FB haha. I have resisted for over 12 years I can't buckle now for a few car parts. I will see what my guy has to say I will get him to start the work and go from there it's not a priority right now.

Best at car I ever had. Price tag might be higher but definitely worth every penny. You really do see where quality is at and why the price is expensive to buy. Not so expensive to maintain as people think as very little if anything goes wrong. Mine is up for sale on eBay and autotrader. I just don't drive her and is a waste on my driveway. I feel I need to join the Bentley forum might be a serious buyer on there.

I think you are on kickback from FB haha. I have resisted for over 12 years I can't buckle now for a few car parts. I will see what my guy has to say I will get him to start the work and go from there it's not a priority right now.

Best at car I ever had. Price tag might be higher but definitely worth every penny. You really do see where quality is at and why the price is expensive to buy. Not so expensive to maintain as people think as very little if anything goes wrong. Mine is up for sale on eBay and autotrader. I just don't drive her and is a waste on my driveway. I feel I need to join the Bentley forum might be a serious buyer on there.
    Phil Walker is on here... to get his attention you can send him a private message.

Lol about Facebook...it is exactly what you want it to be and I'm glad I bit the bullet.

Can you post a link for your Bentley i would like to check it out.

Regards Ian

Sure can. See below share it around. It is up for sale only because I do not drive it. If I wait 5-10 years it will turn in to a classic I am sure.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264810325793

loads more pics available. I had a messer turn up yesterday and have had all sorts of jokers and dreamers. Whoever thought selling a car was so hard. I flew to Glasgow for the Williams paid full price drove home. I don't see why people mess around. 66k on the clock 1100 miles driven in a year. For a 15 year old car it is as mint as it can be. Like anything of that age it's no longer showroom but as close to it.

Sure can. See below share it around. It is up for sale only because I do not drive it. If I wait 5-10 years it will turn in to a classic I am sure.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264810325793

loads more pics available. I had a messer turn up yesterday and have had all sorts of jokers and dreamers. Whoever thought selling a car was so hard. I flew to Glasgow for the Williams paid full price drove home. I don't see why people mess around. 66k on the clock 1100 miles driven in a year. For a 15 year old car it is as mint as it can be. Like anything of that age it's no longer showroom but as close to it.
    Very nice indeed Ashley...love the interior but have to say I don't like black as an exterior colour or black wheels but I bet when your driving in that interior it feels pretty damn good.

Liked your ebay ad too...totally get all the mucking about that must go on.

Regards Ian