Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Electrical gremlins & issues

Hi all.

Recently bought my Williams 2 (M35 GTT) from Falkirk. Drove it back down to Essex 400+ joyful miles. MPG was great compared to my Bentley GTC. Managed to get home on a full tank. During the drive home however I noticed some electrical gremlins

passenger window won't go up and down (switch light comes on) passenger & driver switch
    Clock not working
    oil gague didn't move on initial click
    wing mirrors not moving
    passenger door won't lock on the alarm fob or car key remote but does manually on the key or inside door lock button

I have checked all fuses they are fine. I wonder if anyone else has had all or some of these issues. Would they all be connected or just 25 year old individual electrical issues.

anyone have a 'how to fix' guide or advice. I'm toffee with electrics though like really clueless.

any simpleton help/advice would be good. I don't want to start to buy switches and motors/mechanisms if I don't have to. Pointless throwing money away in hope.

Those are individual issues from being 25 years old more than anything

Common 1 for the windows not working is faulty switches, putting 12v directly to the wiring will tell you if it's the motor or the switch at fault, sometimes the switch on the drivers side being at fault stops the passenger window working............French electrics for you

The oil level gauge works from a sensor that's next to the bottom of the dipstick tube on the engine block - quite common for the wiring to be damaged on them or damage to the sensor itself so have a look & see what's going on in that area

Another common problem for the wing mirrors not working is the knob/switch, finding a known to be working 1 is the 1st port of call, 9 times out of 10 that'll fix it but if not it might require a bit of digging around inside the door to look at the wiring & connections in there

The door not locking is a bit of a mystery to me though especially with it working manually - I'm having a wild stab in the dark here but I reckon there might be a seperate wire for each way the doors lock going to the solenoid and there's a bad connection

Nice one mate. I have had the door panels off had a look. Wiring looks clean with the odd solder mark so has had some work done. I had this on my valves and changed the switches and did work so will try with that for the window. Cheap enough. I have ordered a new door lock mechanism thing with the door pin that goes up and down maybe this isn't going up and down fully under electric power so will see how I go. Again the wing mirrors I will try source a switch. Cheers for the advice

Hi, I had the same problem, and it was the courtesy light door switch had broken, purchased a new one from RPD, fitted it and solved the problem

I have ordered a switch so will see if that does the trick.

Forum User
    Had similar problems on my W2....for me it was just wiring. Took the loom out of the door and checked the wires, lots were broken (they get brittle with age). Soldered them all back together and everything lit up like a candle when I put it all back together. I'm not a mechanic so it's about my limit, but was chuffed to bits...it fixed the passenger elec window and mirrors in one go.

Forum User
    PS the brittle wires were in the rubber flexi thing between the door and the A-post, and fixing the wires in the drivers door fixed the passenger window!

Ah yes I know where you mean. The switch I have already does illuminate so is getting power of some sorts. Like I said I am no sparky although I know a dud wire when I see one. I will fit the switch if it does not work I will take a pic of any wires that look dodgy. Thanks for the info Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    Those are individual issues from being 25 years old more than anything

Common 1 for the windows not working is faulty switches, putting 12v directly to the wiring will tell you if it's the motor or the switch at fault, sometimes the switch on the drivers side being at fault stops the passenger window working............French electrics for you

The oil level gauge works from a sensor that's next to the bottom of the dipstick tube on the engine block - quite common for the wiring to be damaged on them or damage to the sensor itself so have a look & see what's going on in that area

Another common problem for the wing mirrors not working is the knob/switch, finding a known to be working 1 is the 1st port of call, 9 times out of 10 that'll fix it but if not it might require a bit of digging around inside the door to look at the wiring & connections in there

The door not locking is a bit of a mystery to me though especially with it working manually - I'm having a wild stab in the dark here but I reckon there might be a seperate wire for each way the doors lock going to the solenoid and there's a bad connection

Quick update. I got a new working switch for the window. tried it in both the drivers side and the passengers side and.......not working. So I have a spare switch and now know that is not the issue. I am thinking it has to be the wiring for all the issues. I dont want to buy a wing mirror switch and then that doesnt work either although I guess to have some spares is not an issue.

Next thing to try is putting 12v directly to the window motor as that will tell you much more than the switch alone

The mirror switch is a bit more tricky, ideally you want to try your switch on someone elses car that you know is fully working as I have no idea how you can actually test the motor in the mirror itself