Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springs

Forum User

Springs

So...you might have seen a thread on the Facebook page (from Emma, my other half as I don't have Facebook) about springs/shocks etc. We got the shocks sorted.

In the absence of OEM parts for the springs, I think what I'm being told is that Clio 172 springs can be used (and 172 Cup springs would be 5mm lower)? So the question is, what would I order and from where? Are OEM 172 springs available and if so does anyone know part numbers? If not, can anyone recommend 'dreaded' after market ones (I want the same performance, not stiffer)?

Just want to make sure I get hold of the right ones.

It is 172 Cup springs that are the closest match to the Williams ones but those are also unavailable now.

Bordanovasport are selling OE springs now but prepare to soil yourself when you see the price

https://www.boutique-bordanova-sport...e-renault.html

Forum User
    Thanks for confirming. Ouch to the price, but my basic French tells me that they are out of stock! The search goes on.

Forum User
    Check out 'Autoshack' in Woodbridge (Suffolk) Facebook page for pictures of my car in bits...a bit scary to see as I only took it in for a service, but they've done a good job. PS I don't have Facebook to share it with the Williams Facebook.

I got a pair of 172 springs a few years ago from a local motor factor, the biggest problem I had sourcing them was he couldnt work off the spec of the car through the factors automated system, he needed a registration number of the car, couldnt do nuffin without it?
    In the end, I googled images of Clio 172 and gave the number of a random car, “ah, we got them in stock, 15 quid each” was the answer I got?
    Life was simpler before we had computers eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    I got a pair of 172 springs a few years ago from a local motor factor, the biggest problem I had sourcing them was he couldnt work off the spec of the car through the factors automated system, he needed a registration number of the car, couldnt do nuffin without it?
    In the end, I googled images of Clio 172 and gave the number of a random car, “ah, we got them in stock, 15 quid each” was the answer I got?
    Life was simpler before we had computers eh?
    It's the VIN that tells you what the exact spec of the car is and that's what's linked to the reg & why the factors couldn't do anything without it plus not all 172 springs are the same.
    Same applies to the springs for the Williams and Valvers, the Renault parts sysytem shows about 2 dozen different part numbers with coloured dot combinations for each car that makes it a nightmare to find the right ones

what is the best option for replacement springs then, as close to standard as possible?

Forum User
    So, after a bit of searching I managed to find some almost new OEM springs. I'd already had the front shocks replaced whilst searching for springs, but also still felt that the rear of the car was bouncing over bumps so I also got some OEM rear shocks too. Just had them all replaced (springs and rear shocks, as well as previously the front shocks) and OMG....I think I've just found out how a Williams should handle!!! It's absolutely sublime, the rear of the car now rides the road instead of bumping over it, and the new springs plus shocks keep the front end exactly where I want it. Very chuffed, so after taking a long route home from the garage across the windy roads of Suffolk....I went straight back out again for another long drive 😎

Where did you find them?

Forum User
    Found them on eBay in the end, but had to buy a set of springs and shocks. So I now have a spare set of front OEM shocks and a spare used set of front springs (that I took off my car, they are ok...just not as good as new obviously).