Williams vs. standard Clio - body differences

Guys, is the Williams body different than the normal versions (let's say RT), apart of the rear arches? Is the plate thicker, or different mounting points, any reinforcement?

Zero difference apart from the rear arches, well more specifically it's the side panels and a couple of bits on the inside of them to accommodate for the wider arches

side panels 3 door.png

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    Zero difference apart from the rear arches, well more specifically it's the side panels and a couple of bits on the inside of them to accommodate for the wider arches

side panels 3 door.png
    Thanks! That's pretty interesting as I spoke with two guys today claiming Williams has more reinforcement. One of them built two track Clios, one based on 16v and second on a standard 3d and there was 80kg difference despite the same engine, suspension etc. That sounds unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Thanks! That's pretty interesting as I spoke with two guys today claiming Williams has more reinforcement. One of them built two track Clios, one based on 16v and second on a standard 3d and there was 80kg difference despite the same engine, suspension etc. That sounds unbelievable
    I saw them on fb but I'm currently banned so couldn't shout at them

The Williams subframe has some extra reinforcement on it but that's it, the other reinforcement stuff 1 of the guys is on about is the Group A/N stuff but that's a kit of seperate pieces that you weld into the shell afterwards.
    The metal structure of all Mk1 Clio's is exactly the same until you get to the sides, technically you could quite easily graft a 5 door side onto a Williams as it's the exact same size as the 3 door side

Side panels.png

As for the 2 track Clios, he's probably on about the 172 Cup, they are 80 odd kg lighter than the standard 172 & they weigh 1020kg. The lightest Mk1 16v/Williams weighs around 980kg and the later cars max out at 1010kg due to the electric sunroof, ABS and side impact bars in the door - those bars are bloody heavy found that out when I chopped them out on my track car

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    I saw them on fb but I'm currently banned so couldn't shout at them

The Williams subframe has some extra reinforcement on it but that's it, the other reinforcement stuff 1 of the guys is on about is the Group A/N stuff but that's a kit of seperate pieces that you weld into the shell afterwards.
    The metal structure of all Mk1 Clio's is exactly the same until you get to the sides, technically you could quite easily graft a 5 door side onto a Williams as it's the exact same size as the 3 door side

Side panels.png

As for the 2 track Clios, he's probably on about the 172 Cup, they are 80 odd kg lighter than the standard 172 & they weigh 1020kg. The lightest Mk1 16v/Williams weighs around 980kg and the later cars max out at 1010kg due to the electric sunroof, ABS and side impact bars in the door - those bars are bloody heavy found that out when I chopped them out on my track car
    Thanks a lot for this. I also saw your post on FB.

I compared body parts numbers between my Willy and a random 1994 RT 3door and everything seems to be the same, one exhaust holder (or sth like that) has different part number.

As for the subframe, is the 16v the same as Williams'?

The subframe is different on the Williams, it's essentially the exact same thing it just has some extra bits welded onto it for extra strength

As for the exhaust holder, those differences were just variations in production to do with different parts suppliers as quite a few bits were made by different suppliers over the life of the production run
    Last edited by 16v_paddy; 10-05-2020 at 12:12.