Forum User

Replacing fuel hoses

Hey Guys

Looks like the car has sprung a leak in one of the rubber fuel hoses that run along the driver side of the engine and connect to the plastic pipes underneath. I couldn't see exactly where the leak was and the hoses feel perished / brittle so may as well replace fully. Could any of you kind folk verify / recommend -

The internal size of the hoses?
    A re-route for the hoses as I doubt I'll be able to run relacement hoses back the way the originals are (looks like an engine out jobbie)?
    If its worth getting braided hoses / nitrile as I'm mainly using the car for track days?

Thanks
    Jas

Don't take it as gospel but I believe the internal diameter of the fuel hoses are 8mm

As for re-routing you don't really have any other choice because of where they need to end up and although it's tight & fiddly it's certainly not an engine out job to replace them

If you look from the fuel rail, you'll see that the pipes go into a clip on the chassis leg then down to where the join up with the plastic pipes

Forum User
    Was hoping to take one of the pipes of the fuel rail to measure but didnt get time. The OEM hoses look flimsy and 8mm on the outside? I had a look at several fuel hoses at a couple of different parts shops and online and they appear to be much more substantial i.e. greater diameter 13mm outside with thicker hose wall to cope with high pressures. Is the fuel system on the Williams not pressurised?

It is pressurised & runs at 3 bar.

Forum User
    Thanks Paddy

I can confirm the original hoses are 8mm internal and unbelievably 14mm external. I spent a bit of time looking into fuel hoses and in the end went with some Gates Barricade hose from Moss Europe. This is OEM size but much more robust / better quality and also Bio fuel resistant. We're now getting more Ethanol in our petrol which causes the hoses to rot quicker especially when you dont drive the car frequently as the standing fuel causes oxidation even quicker.

Forum User
    Hi Jas
    How did you get on?
    I have a Williams 1 and have suddenly got a couple of fuel hose leaks. Did you replace (and run down the same route) all the hoses including the plastic ones?
    Would appreciate any advise / warnings you might have.

cheers
    Nick

This is a common issue now the cars are so old.

The ID is 8mm.

If you get about 6 metres and cut to required length, you'll be ok I think for BOTH fuel feed and return.

When you replace them there is a casing on the driver side near the alternator, see if it is worn away, they usually are. If so, route the pipe away from the aux belt and cable tie in place for safety.

Make sure you use the correct fuel hose clamps, not oversized jubilee ones.

Don't re-use any old pipe, you are just asking for more trouble.