Forum User

Track discs and pads

Hey Guys

For any of you that did / do track days in your car with standard calipers, what disc and pad combo would you recommend?

Thanks
    Jas

I'd recommend not doing trackdays on standard brakes tbh

You can do it but you have to be very gentle on the brakes as heat is a big issue, if you're really pushing you'll cook them pretty quickly

Plain discs from Brembo, Pagid or Mintex are fine but I'm a bit out of touch whats available pad wise for the standard calipers so not sure what to advise apart from avoid EBC pads like the plague

Are DS2500's still decent?

Yeah DS2500's are ok as long as they're reasonably priced as they seem to vary a lot depending on what caliper they're for - no idea if they're available for standard mk1 calipers though

Forum User
    Kind of stuck on what to do as I thought the car would have sold easily as it was. I havent got the patience to wait for all the interior bits to come so can be restored and in the mean time temptation to track it is too great. Making it more track dedicated seems pointless as spares are sparse so a 172 cup would probably be more suited to that.

I’ve definitely had DS2500’s on my Williams, and my cup. Although it was fair while back, I’m certain there are more advanced choices available now.

FWIW, track it, it’s meant to be driven.

Forum User
    they are available for the standard calliper, i run these currently. bit squeaky to start with but have quietened down now.

Forum User
    Doesn't look like there's much of a choice other than EBC - green, red and yellow, Ferodo - DS2500 and DS3000 and Carbon Lorraine (CL) - RC5+ and RC6 pads. EBC stuff gets mixed reviews and the CL's are expensive so probably go with the DS2500 or 3000's.

For the love of all that's good in the world don't use any product from EBC their brake pads have catastrophically failed & nearly killed me on 4 seperate occasions, 3 of which were in my Valver track car and once in my Astra. That's not including the same failure happening to friends of mine in other cars

I only rate DS2500's as pretty mediocre pads but the quality of them compared to EBC pads is scarily superior