Forum User

Which parts from other cars fit a Williams?

Hi All

Doesn't look like my Williams2 is going anywhere soon so might as well carry on enjoying it on track days.

Given that most parts for a Williams are in short supply it would be good if we had a list of parts that are compatible / can be used from other cars and Renault models such as a 5 or 172. Does such a list already exist or could the experts help compile one?

Thx

Citroen xsara hdi front brake calipers bolt straight on and have much more braking power

There's just too many variables to make a useable list, a lot of stuff can be fitted but requires other things to be changed/fitted to accommoadate them

All depends on what you want to replace tbh

Forum User
    Was thinking of bits that could bolt straight on or with as little work as possible as per dimma's post. Think I read somewhere that the 172 springs are a good match and possibly the wishbones?

172 Cup springs swap straight on and were just fine when I ran them. A bit lower than standard but not stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    Was thinking of bits that could bolt straight on or with as little work as possible as per dimma's post. Think I read somewhere that the 172 springs are a good match and possibly the wishbones?
    I think it's 172 cup springs that are a match for the williams, you can use the 172 wishbones you just need to make sure you use the 172 balljoints as well because the bolt holes are different on them

Forum User
    Looks like the phase 1 172 drive shafts and hubs may be swapable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    Looks like the phase 1 172 drive shafts and hubs may be swapable.
    You have to get the hubs machined where the shock bolts to them by 2mm either side so that the shocks will fit and you'll also have to either drill the holes in the shocks bigger or fit some sleeves into the holes in the hub as they're bigger on 172 items

The other option if you want to use 172 shafts is to press out the hub flange from the mk1 hub & replace it with the 172 hub flange as the spline part of the 172 shafts are bigger than the williams ones