Thread: Rust worry

Rust worry

Having just sold my Super 5 Monaco without too much rust worry,am I entering the lion's den by buying a Williams 3.

I have seen a 3 with 100k but being parked behind an immobile blower Bentley I've not been able to test yet.

A worrying trait has shown up in internal rust in the tailgate -right side beneath the glass and rusted completely through but not on the outside.

Should I steer clear -the seller says he will MOT before I test and not hold me to buy- but are there many hidden areas much mask terminal rust that I should be aware?

Bodywork seems ok other than small area on door tops where lacquer has started to peel.

No obvious rusting on rear wheel arches.

The price of 7000 seems ok.

Comments to help me make a decision would be very gratefully received.

Subscribed Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsofar View Post
    Having just sold my Super 5 Monaco without too much rust worry,am I entering the lion's den by buying a Williams 3.

I have seen a 3 with 100k but being parked behind an immobile blower Bentley I've not been able to test yet.

A worrying trait has shown up in internal rust in the tailgate -right side beneath the glass and rusted completely through but not on the outside.

Should I steer clear -the seller says he will MOT before I test and not hold me to buy- but are there many hidden areas much mask terminal rust that I should be aware?

Bodywork seems ok other than small area on door tops where lacquer has started to peel.

No obvious rusting on rear wheel arches.

The price of 7000 seems ok.

Comments to help me make a decision would be very gratefully received.
    Go for w1 or w2...7k is way too much for a w3

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Forum User
    The tailgate is quite a common issue, finding another in great condition is possible, but not easy. 7k could well be to much, but what miles has car done? Look at all the things/parts that are no longer available brand new -
    window rubbers, weather strips, manifold heat shield etc. If these are knackered they are getting difficult to find even second hand....I have a good, honest williams 1 for sale, more than the 3 is priced at, but if your serious about buying, then it's worth considering.

Dan

Rust in the tailgate wouldn't bother me as it's easy for water to get trapped in there & rot them out, it's the structural areas you want to be looking at like at the bottom of the windscreen, rear quarters and the rear chassis legs

But at 7k with no current MOT I think the guy is on crack. If it's not presented as well as this 1 on ebay I'd give it a miss tbh https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-CLIO...0AAOSwnTdZ8Cff

You haven't put a question mark at the end of your first sentence but the answer is a clear YES.

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    Rust in the tailgate wouldn't bother me as it's easy for water to get trapped in there & rot them out, it's the structural areas you want to be looking at like at the bottom of the windscreen, rear quarters and the rear chassis legs

But at 7k with no current MOT I think the guy is on crack. If it's not presented as well as this 1 on ebay I'd give it a miss tbh https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-CLIO...0AAOSwnTdZ8Cff
    You could probably get the car Paddy's linked to for not much more than 7k and certainly you'd end up paying more than 8.5k for the car you describe, including a lot of heartache and grazed knuckles. (Though you'll get them whichever one you buy.)

... and the Ebay one is a much better mileage, if that counts for anything.
    Last edited by Ayli Carper; 06-11-2017 at 17:19.

There will be ALOT more rust than what you will first see. Are you happy taking on a project?