Thread: On the lookout

On the lookout

Hi folks

A couple of friends and I are looking to purchase a Williams. As you are all aware they're just iconic cars from when we were growing up. Also for me personally, I'm a massive Renaultsport fan, I've had 7 so far, including a Clio V6 and a couple of Clio Trophies.

Ive just joined here for a bit of guidance and expertise really. We've seen a few cars, ranging from a few grand that need a lot of work, to what seem like 'minters' at about £15k.

My main question is one of value, we've seen a Williams 3 close by for £16k, and though we've not been to look at it, I thought it looks like very strong money for a 3. Aren't 1s supposed to be more sought after/valuable? Personally I would like a 1 being the enthusiast I am, but as it would be a purchase with a couple of close friends (it's a plan so we can get a few cars like this together and split costs and have access to all) I'm happy to go with any iteration as long as I don't feel like I'm getting a raw deal

Like I say, any help is very appreciated.

Danny

Forum User
    1's are the more valuable/desirable.. how many in total have you found? any links? some of us may know the cars and be able to give you some insight into the history.. there's a fair few that have been documented on here and may even be in the register.

any questions feel free to ask.. there are some people who are more than helpful on here.

Cheers. Only just started looking to be honest. We've found a Williams 1 that we are trying to get the owner to sell, it's in a sorry state so want to save it. But equally if we can't it's finding the right balance between price and how much work needs doing. We've not actually been to see any others, I think it was more a query of is a completely mint 3 worth £16k? So when we go see it if it's flawless we know it's worth it.

ultimately between us we just want one. If it costs us £16k for a minter, or we buy a rough one and bring it back to life... thanks for the reply

hey Roystinho, are you on the Abarth forum? Thought I recognised the username.

Unfortunately my Williams 1 was stolen and suffered barely any damage other than scratches and the ignition barrel was broken, it was written off and valued at £8k. It's got 90,000 miles on it and was in pretty good condition, not a minter by any means but a good solid car. Hope that provides some insight into values.

Yeah I have used the Abarth forum, but not a regular on there. Still got my 595 comp, love it. Only thing I'd swap it for is an M2, but the Mrs would go nuts if I got one I think.

Thanks for the input, I'm trying to gauge at what price point we want to get in. We can restore so not a problem. It's a question of cost to buy and restore v a minter... probably an impossible answer to be fair...

Forum User
    Try this website for a guide price. Don't know how it compares to real life...
    http://apps.hagerty.com/ukvaluation/index.html
    It does show a difference between the 1, 2 & 3.
    Rgds, Sean

Quote Originally Posted by roystinho View Post
    Hi folks

A couple of friends and I are looking to purchase a Williams. As you are all aware they're just iconic cars from when we were growing up. Also for me personally, I'm a massive Renaultsport fan, I've had 7 so far, including a Clio V6 and a couple of Clio Trophies.

Ive just joined here for a bit of guidance and expertise really. We've seen a few cars, ranging from a few grand that need a lot of work, to what seem like 'minters' at about £15k.

My main question is one of value, we've seen a Williams 3 close by for £16k, and though we've not been to look at it, I thought it looks like very strong money for a 3. Aren't 1s supposed to be more sought after/valuable? Personally I would like a 1 being the enthusiast I am, but as it would be a purchase with a couple of close friends (it's a plan so we can get a few cars like this together and split costs and have access to all) I'm happy to go with any iteration as long as I don't feel like I'm getting a raw deal

Danny
    Theres less 3's on the road that makes them rarer

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by roystinho View Post
    Hi folks

Danny
    Hi Danny, I'm considering selling my 0385
    There were threads and photos on here once upon a time.
    Not sure if they work now. It's sorned at the moment and tucked up for the winter.
    it is, in my opinion a very nice car. Having benefited from a fairly extensive refurb.
    Let me know if you are still in the market for one.
    Regards,
    Lewis