Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Subscribed Member IRISH-WILLIAMS's Avatar

THE NUMBERED PLAQUE??

Hi everybody.

I have a question that some of you hopefully will be able to clear up for me,

To start off i'm going to say i'm aware of the Williams 1 being the only of the 3 cars to wear the badge on the dash, and the Williams 2/3 are without! ..That's fine!

my confusion is, when you do a bit of digging ,i.e Wikipedia, it states that,,, "In 1993, Renault launched the Clio Williams as a limited edition of 3,800 cars (1,300 more than they needed for homologation purposes) with each car bearing a numbered plaque on the dash."

so according to sources 3800 Clio Williams have a plaque,

And we're all aware that there was in the Reagan of 12000 Clio Williams produced c57m,
    So how come time after time i see on the net Clio Williams left hand drives from the continent bearing plaques with numbers in the high thousands? and to be honest these do not look fake, and these are phase 2 cars,?

I'm probable missing something very obvious here, so feel free to have a chuckle at my expense,

but for some reason i think us Williams 2/3 owners of the right hand drive batch were left plaque-less by Renault????

If you find out let me know as ive seen a 2 with a plaque and would love to have a plaque for my wills 3

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

It's only the non UK models that have the high numbered plaques as they got them after the UK did

Will just have to get one made 😁

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    It's only the non UK models that have the high numbered plaques as they got them after the UK did
    it seams there was some left hand drive cars with below 400 plaques, looking at the register, but the french cars with the 6000+ numbers is whats puzzling,

its like renault just attached them to all the early cars with not much system or order,

theres a member on here, who has number 6035, "robi1000" and its a genuine plaque!

this contradicts the official amount numbered by renault,
    Last edited by IRISH-WILLIAMS; 27-07-2017 at 13:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve harman View Post
    Will just have to get one made 

i wouldn't like to get one made up, it wouldn't be official, but what if it was Renaults intent to have all 12000 cars numbered, but decided not to number them all in the latter in order not to upset the original William's purchasers

I will phone Renault as they did number the first ones as they sold so fast they made 2 and 3 it did upset the wils1 owners when they were released

i think mat brown said on a post a while back renault didnt number them 1 to 3,800 or so... i think they may have missed a few numbers out in between.
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

Quote Originally Posted by FATBOY View Post
    i think mat brown said on a post a while back renault didnt number them 1 to 3,800 or so... i think they may have missed a few numbers out in between.
    ya it seams to be a bit of.. 1..2.. skip a few 99..100

still begs the question which ever outside vendor was making the plaques, if it was an outside vendor, would have no numerical order in there production, 3456, ok whats next 6035?

i think asking renault would be a bit fruitless, they woudnt want to discuss a 20+ year old car plaque issue