Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine dying

Engine dying

Hi all

slight mechanical issue. Car running perfectly but when I depress the clutch the revs die away almost immediately and the engine stops. Fires up straight away again though.

If I move the clip on the throttle cable (to increase the idle) it's fine but needs to then idle at circa 1500rpm or higher.

anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Everything fixed and secure.. lose lead

Sounds like it could be the idle control valve at fault to me

Thanks Paddy. To elaborate........

1. Tick over is fine when not in gear - I have had to move the adjuster clip on the cable as far forward as it will go though!
    2. Driving along all is good as long as the gear change is quick
    3. Depress the clutch and the engine dies.
    4. Try to get reverse and it dies (gear change takes too long)
    5. Coast up to a junction or roundabout and change down and the engine dies.
    6. I've looked at the adjustment screw on the stop for the butterfly and the original paint is still intact so sure that hasn't moved.

I tend to agree with you. Is it an expensive/hard job to fix? Are the control valves readily available?

Cheers

Ben

They're common to be gunked up with crap making them sticky so it's worth taking it off & thoroughly cleaning it with brake cleaner and working the flap inside it back & forth then soaking it in wd40

It's not a guaranteed fix but worth a try plus it's pretty much free

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    They're common to be gunked up with crap making them sticky so it's worth taking it off & thoroughly cleaning it with brake cleaner and working the flap inside it back & forth then soaking it in wd40

It's not a guaranteed fix but worth a try plus it's pretty much free
    Thanks Paddy. Is there a guide to doing it on here? It would make life easier as I am a mechanical spaz!!

Sorry to butt in but mine idles at 1500ish sometimes, could ths be the same valve ?

So, I had the idle control valve cleaned and that fixed it for a while. Now it seems the throttle is sticking and goes up to c 4,000rpm when I depress the clutch - when I put it in gear it behaves and idles at 900 ish. When driving in gear it keeps trying to lurch forward and accelerate.

I have replaced the tps so thats all good (with a genuine part)

what else can it be? Its undriveable at the moment

Thanks

Are you saying that sitting idling in neutral (at 900rpm?) and then depressing the clutch causes it to shoot up to 4000rpm, but if you slot the gearlever into a gear (still with the clutch down) it drops to 900rpm?

Or that when trundling along at low speed in, say, 4th gear, it will happily do so at 900rpm?
    Last edited by white16valver; 14-12-2017 at 14:38.

Quote Originally Posted by white16valver View Post
    Are you saying that sitting idling in neutral (at 900rpm?) and then depressing the clutch causes it to shoot up to 4000rpm, but if you slot the gearlever into a gear (still with the clutch down) it drops to 900rpm?

Or that when trundling along at low speed in, say, 4th gear, it will happily do so at 900rpm?
    so. When I fire it up it will sometimes idle correctly at about 900rpm but sometimes start straight at 4,000 rpm. If I blip the throttle it MAY drop to 900rpm but may stick at 4,000. When driving along and try to change gear it will sometime shoot up to 4,000 when I depress the clutch but when I put it in gear it will go back to normal rpm for that speed in that gear. When I accelerate in gear it's ok. When I get off the accelerator it feels jerky as though it's trying to accelerate. Then, when I depress the clutch to change down the revs will flare and then settle when I select a gear and whole thing starts again.

I tried playing with the throttle in the engine bay to stop it over revving but it doesn't make a difference.

Does that make sense (it doesn't to me but that's what it does)

the tps has been replaced. Idle control valve cleaned. The only other thing is the cable. Or maybe something more sinister .......

any help greatly appreciated as i say its undrivable at the moment.

Thanks