Race Suspension settings (car is at the moment too tricky!)

Hi,

at the moment I'm not happy with the handling of the car on the circuit. The back of the car is really tricky in fast corners...
    I hope I get at this forum some help & suggestions.

At the corner ruskenhoek at 0:58 you can see that I almost lost the back of the car. At the corner mandeveen at 1:27 the back tried again to turn around....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqE-P6WdHLw

Here my setup:

- Renault 5 with F7R engine. (weight of engine is a little bit in front of the front axle, so not ideal and sometimes the car creates oversteer).
    - AVO GTZ600/601 with 2.25" i/d race/competition springs 300lbs (Front/rear setting on hardest)
    - Williams track width.
    - Gr.N rear torsion bar.
    - ET15 Rims with semi slicks. (1.8 bar cold)
    - Camber rear -2.5
    - Camber front -2.1 (at the moment because it was raining during my race course)
    - Ride height is front & rear equal.
    - A lot of polyester car parts so car is really light in the back.

Thank you very much for any suggestions...

Peter

With it being a 5 I'm not sure if my experiences will be of any help or not but here goes

After I added -1 camber & extra width to the rear of my Clio I found that the back end would not move around at all so made changes to the front to get the rear to move around just the way I prefer it to. I changed from Williams bottom arms to R19 items that give more castor.

How have you added the camber at the rear of your car? The popular mod for the Clio is to adapt the rear beam to accept mk2 Clio stub axles that then allow you to add spacers and camber shims to widen the rear track even further with further options to add either toe in or toe out.

The mk2 stub axles on their own add 10mm to each side iirc

My thoughts to your problem so far would be to either make adjustments to the rear setup to increase grip or make changes to the front to decrease the amount of bite the front tyres have
    Last edited by 16v_paddy; 29-05-2017 at 22:07.

Thanks for you're reply Paddy...

Yes I understand it is a 5 but the subframe/wishbones etc. are from a Williams.
    what do you mean with bottom arms? Do you mean Wishbones? These are the same from a williams and a Renault 19....

The rear axle is from a Clio 16V and we changed the camber by twisting the stub axle. (cold reform by force)

I have plenty of room to wider the track with spacers so you suggest to make the back wider then the front?

thanks..

Yes, bottom arms = wishbones

The Williams and R19 arms are slightly different, the R19 arms look identical but the holes for the ball joint are in a slightly different position which pushes the wheel forward, it's what the Mk1 Clio Cup race cars use, makes a noticeable difference & really does push the wheels further forward, so much so that the bumper needs to be chopped up

My thoughts would be to make the rear track wider, the other benefit is that whichever way you choose to adapt the axle, you'll then be able to buy & use these to make adjustments but as far as I'm aware these wont actually fit & work on a normal Mk1 Clio axle http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/cli...-toe-shim.html

This is my rear axle

The more common/popular method is to fit stubs from a Mk2 Clio to add the width

I have to add that I'm not exactly sure what's been done to my axle as I bought it already done from a guy on another forum that was adapting them but you should be able to see the camber shim on top of the circular spacer thing

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post

The Williams and R19 arms are slightly different, the R19 arms look identical but the holes for the ball joint are in a slightly different position which pushes the wheel forward, it's what the Mk1 Clio Cup race cars use, makes a noticeable difference & really does push the wheels further forward, so much so that the bumper needs to be chopped up

ok, I didn't knew that the wishbones are slightly different.
    I have already the R19 16V wishbones

Other people who are also racing a Renault 5 give me the suggestion to place stiffer front springs of 600lbs. (because of the extra weight of the F7R engine)

So I give it a try on the next track day and I let you know....

The wishbones you've got might explain it then & I'd say adjusting the rear should help dial out your problem, just not sure what effect the extra width will have on how you've modified your rear axle to get the camber

On another note the shocks I'm using are Spax coilovers for R5 GTT

From what i have read, you push out the original 16v / Williams stub axle. Enlarge the 4 bolt holes (that the rear caliper mounts too) then bolt on a 172 / 182 rear stub axle / caliper ounting bracket to your 16v / williams axle.

You can then fit rear camber shims.