Forum User

1994 Williams - MOT with De-cat???

Its been a while but hello again!

0425 is due an MOT but has always had a de-cat fitted. I usually travel a fair distance to a nice friendly MOT tester who's a Clio nut and knows the car inside out....hence its always a pretty much guaranteed pass (within reason)

However, I've dropped the ball this year and the MOT has run out and I don't fancy the journey through all the damn cameras en route so am thinking of getting the MOT done locally instead.

But will it pass the emissions with the de-cat fitted??

From what I can find online there seems to be a grey area between 1992 and 95 when Ccs were phased in....

Anyone know the answer to this???

Forum User
    I thought you could drive to an MOT as long as it was a booked appt, it doesn't need to be the nearest.
    So don't drive it until you are going to MOT.
    Need to be taxed and insured of course.

As above, im sure you are covered to drive to an MOT station

Will be interested to know how you get on getting the car MOT'd at a station other than your usual friendly place Glyn.
    I had always assumed tha the car would fail without a cat fitted.

With the new test, I was under the impression that they had to save the emissions test report which was completed during the emissions test phase of the MOT. Not sure if that reads correctly, but I hope you know what I mean.

Good luck 👍

Forum User
    You can drive to an MoT station with no MoT for a pre-booked appointment, however if its a long distance you risk the hassle of being pulled several times due to the increasing number of ANPR cameras.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Forum User
    I was told there was a limit of 20 miles you could drove to a booked appointment for an MOT but it seems that there's no particular set distance stated anywhere legally. If you got stopped it would be at the discretion of the plod in question once the appointment for that particular vehicle has been verified.

But I could still do with finding out if a 1994 Willy will pass the emissions with a de-cat fitted.

From what I can gather, cats were phased in from 1992 but didn't come compulsory until 1995. So from 1995 the allowable emissions of 'nasty gas x' was reduced from 3.5% to 0.3%. But if your vehicle was built between those dates and had a cat fitted as they were phased in then it still has to pass the lower 0.3% threshold.

Unless the cat is 'not present' and then it simply has to pass the existing 3.5% threshold......in which case it should be fine awithany MOT tester.

Its this I'm trying to find out for sure......

Forum User
    the amounts may differ depending on engine state too, so personally id just take it to the nearest/cheapest mot station and just try it.. what's the worse than can happen.. you'll have to buy a cat and fit that within the grace period for a free retest.. if it passes then cool.. either way you guna have to pay for the mot..

I've had mine MOT'd at a couple of places without a CAT. Both were like: it passed the emissions (which it did) even *cough cough* without a CAT...

Does the lack of a cat being fitted make much difference to a std tune engine?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
    Does the lack of a cat being fitted make much difference to a std tune engine?
    In terms of emissions, not really. The early CAT's were thrown on the meet the new regs. My car passes emissions even without one and mine is quite highly tuned.

The sound without a CAT is much better;)