4th Engine mount installation question

I tried to fit The 4th engine mount earlier on this evening but couldn't get enough height on the gearbox before it would have touched the underside of the NS chassis leg.
    Now this begs the question - is my engine too far over to the NS of the engine bay?
    Should I be able to jack up the gearbox so that it stays inside of the engine bay, clearing the chassis leg?

Also the Haynes manual mentions on engine removal (OS engine mount) to make note of the distance from the outer edge of the movement limiter and the centre of the mounting stud. I didnt do that at the time!

I have just seen in the Haynes manual that they give a measurement between the crankshaft pulley cover and the edge of the body next to the strengthening rod as 29mm, I'll have to check that tomorrow.

Any views on the above gearbox position appreciated as I want to finish this job tomorrow 👍

Gearbox is supposed to stay below the chassis leg so you can't go any higher with it & you don't really need to jack it up in order to fit the 4th mount either as undoing the dogbone gives you all the movement you need.

You also need to slacken off the drivers side engine mount in order for the engine to sit corrrectly once the 4th mount is fitted

Thanks for the info Paddy 👍

Sorted thanks.
    First mistake, I was looking at the wrong pre drilled hole in the subframe, I was looking at the rearmost one which is incorrect.

Secondly, the bolts on the side mount need to be put in place first and then the ones on the front of the engine or the others wont line up 👍

I tried fitting the 4th mount on my W3 but the
    power steering pipe and bracketry got in the way?

any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by theweekendhaslanded View Post
    I tried fitting the 4th mount on my W3 but the
    power steering pipe and bracketry got in the way?

any ideas?
    The power steering pipe shouldnt be an issue really, the PS pipe sits in the lower lip of the subframe which should be well out of the way of the engine, gearbox and mount. Is your PS pipe routed correctly?
    The 4th mount does sit tight up against the auxiliary water pump/ air feed bracket but does not need to be moved at all.

Maybe you need to try again, but this time dont give up 👍.

Not that I claim to be an expert but I followed this procedure (excluding the swearing) and statements like "Why didnt I just leave it the fu3k alone"

1/ Loosen the 2 small gearbox mounting nuts located under the battery tray to allow the gearbox to move slightly
    2/ Remove the rearmost dogbone bolts, this will allow the engine to swing back and forth
    3/ Loosen the two inner offside engine location bolts.
    4/ Remove the 3 bolts securing the gearbox brace to the top of the gearbox
    4/ test fit the 4th mount bracket to the gearbox (without the bush mount) loosley bolting it in place and then test fit the gearbox brace, you will need to shave metal off the front section to allow the securing bolt to pass through both the top bracket hole and the gearbox brace mount hole.
    5/ I then removed both the 4th mount bracket and the gearbox brace.
    6/ Push the gearbox forwards so that you can locate the 4th mount bush to the subframe. Make sure you use the foremost oval hole and not the rearmost one, as this wont work.
    7/ secure the lower bolt in place but do not tighten fully.
    8/ Now fit the 4th mount bracket and gearbox brace back on the gearbox making sure that you fix the 2 side bolts in place first and then the 2 front ones. I tried it the other way round and found it impossible to line the side mounts up.
    9/ You should now be able to manipulate the mount bracket onto the 4th mount stud.
    Its tight be doable.

Dont forget to torque up the engine gearbox and dogbone mounts once you have finished, that should be about it.
    All I can say is that this worked for me, I also had the benefit of some hints and tips from people on the forum

Phil

Thanks for that Phil.

Its possible the PS pipe is routed differently as the engine was out 4 -5 years ago. I'll certainly have another look at fitting the 4th mount. I bet it's a real improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by theweekendhaslanded View Post
    Thanks for that Phil.

Its possible the PS pipe is routed differently as the engine was out 4 -5 years ago. I'll certainly have another look at fitting the 4th mount. I bet it's a real improvement.
    Its possible that someone could have mounted the first "P" clip after the power steering set up the wrong way round, it should push the PS pipe into the inner section of the sub frame, if its the other way round it would lift it to a position that could cause you a problem.
    I'll root out an image of my pipework later to show you what I mean.

Re improvement, the engine is very secure in the engine bay with very little movement when trying by hand. When I get it running I'll report back ��. Should be quite soon now.

i do remember the PS pipe on my 3 being in the way aswell but on the 1 it wasnt.