Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

DIY Phase 1 bump strip clips (part no. 7701036119)

Given I was in the same predicament as quite a few of you here, I decided to act on Crossers' suggestion (http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/show...mp-Strip-Clips) and make my own Phase 1 bump strip clips. The original part number is 7701036119 and these seem to be no longer available anywhere. Not wanting to do what some suggested and get a set from a scrap car (the plastic would have been very old and brittle) I took on remodelling the easily available clip part number 7701408846.

Crossers' never got round to posting a how to thread / video that I badly hoped he would, so having gone through the trial and error myself thought I'd do a write up for future reference.

Kit:
    - small saw (a dremel would have done nicely, but I'm not lucky enough to have one)
    - small file (if you're pedantic and want your surfaces smooth :D)
    - wire cutter or any other sort of straight, small clippers
    - fairly coarse sand paper
    - vice or something to keep the clip steady while you work on it

Potentially you'll manage with just a saw or file, but I found, in the absence of a dremel, the cutters greatly sped things up. Made the first one only using a file and I think it took me 20-30mins. By the time I got to the 8th one, using cutters, it was literally a couple of minutes to make.

1) Cut off the top "support" bits on either side and file down the remaining plastic.

2) On the top, centre "tab", mark the width of the slit from the bump strip (see second last photo if you're not sure what I mean) and cut/file away the excess plastic from each side.

3) At the bottom, cut away some of the plastic on either side (about half of the "angled" part) and file flat. Leave the butterfly tabs intact.

4) Pressing flat against some sand paper, file away some of the back of the clip - probably about 0.5-1mm. I found it is too thick otherwise and the top tab will not clip into the bump strip unless this is done.

5) Fit the top tab in the bump strip slit, making sure the top tab lip goes under the metal strip. Press in the bottom part, pressing the butterfly tabs under the metal strip. Presto. Clip done.

I know in the last image it looks like I've filed way too much off, as the top edge is not flush with the bump strip. You could try leaving more of the plastic. Trial fitting the clip after cutting away plastic bit by bit though, I found it very hard to get the clip in until more or less this much was cut away. Ultimately, even though the top edge of the clip is not flush, it still sits very tightly, so I was happy with the end result. My suggestion is just to work away at the plastic in little amounts and trial fit the clip to the strip (especially step 4) - you'll notice when it sits just right and will quickly get the hang of how much of the plastic to get rid of. The below shows more or less where the cutting / filing needs to happen.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by mrodz; 07-04-2017 at 22:53.

Very good that man....thanks for posting.

Regards Ian

Subscribed Member
    Top work

great guide is that - can i take a copy of the pictures and resave them to the server?

Forum User
    Ive got some brand new phase 1 clips....didnt realise they were so hard to get hold of. Will keep them safe for when i have the car painted

Dunc

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by northy View Post
    great guide is that - can i take a copy of the pictures and resave them to the server?
    Of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Ive got some brand new phase 1 clips....didnt realise they were so hard to get hold of. Will keep them safe for when i have the car painted

Dunc
    Tried looking everywhere. Even seriously considered ordering a wholesale batch to be made from India or China, but just wasn't able to find a manufacturer that would be easily "contactable". In the end, 2h manual labour isn't too much of a hassle :D

Forum User
    Last year I sent out enquiries to potential manufacturers to remake the clips, but the tooling costs were prohibitive – around £700 for 30 clips. So I ended up doing the same as mrodz - but by the time I’d finished I don’t think I had any fingertips left! What we need is someone on the forum who has access to a 3D printer and is also able to scan an existing clip…?
    Because the modified clips aren’t located in the bottom slit (as viewed in photo 5) of the bump strip, there was slight lateral movement when fitted to the car. I wasn’t happy that the bump strip might not slide off (as had happened before the renovation), so I used a piece of double-sided tape over one of the clips and that felt solid.
    Regards, Sean

Forum User
    Did you take off some of the plastic from the back? Maybe too much? I found mine to be super tight, no play at all. Was surprised myself, to be honest!

Did you ask manufacturers in the UK or India / China? Naturally the cost will fall with each additional ordered item - I'm sure there would be a fair amount of people willing to buy these new if available. Especially with the demand for Ph1 Williams and 16V nowadays and the numerous restorations in progress.

I will design the clip in 3D and get a batch printed. Had a quick search online and I recon I can get each clip for 2.5 GBP, printed and delivered to me, if I order 100 units. I can probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

I have actually designed a few plastic products and used 3D printing to fine tune the design before getting the expensive tooling made. This was 7 years ago and 3D printing / prototyping was still a new thing, printers are much more advanced nowadays.

I recon a Nylon print will be perfect for this clip and it is also one of the most common 3D printing materials. I will keep you guys posted.

This was using a solid block with the same dimensions of the clip. Less materials equals less printing costs, so it can work out cheaper than the above.
    Attached Images Attached Images