Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum User
    good luck,

hopefully they are taking loads of photos for you, so you can have a record and also see what it is like under the skin,

Cheers,
    Simon

Thank you. That's kind.
    I have got a load of photos already. I shall try and post them
    I'll ask for more for sure.

Sounds like it could be lovely but be very mindful, it's very easy to make a car look fantastic from the outside but it could be rotten under the skin so don't get too fooled by a shiny paint job.

Big risk you took there but hope it pays off and the car will be immaculate.

Check areas of the bodywork that are prone to rust and not immediately visible, especially the slam panel where the windscreen sits on.

Open the jack and screen washer tank compartments and have a good feel there. take your phone and record a video with the flash on to help you assess the condition on that particular area.

Rare parts like the manifold heatshield and the boot suit carrier shall be found in top condition for that price. Check that all electrics work, that ventilation/heating works on all speed settings.

If you are not car minded it's probably a good idea to ask someone knowledgeable to go with you when collection takes place.

I'm not too far from Classic Heroes, let me know if you need an extra pair of eyes.

good luck!

as above really, be mindful of coverups over known prone areas, another is rear chassis rails to rear panel and front inner arches under the wings and splash guards. All areas easily hidden or missed

and as others mentioned to, i'd want to be sure all correct original parts are on it, parcel is the most tricky as the Williams one had a unique one, not just the suit carrier but the shelf itself is different, thicker covering, almost woolly!

thank you everyone for all the offers of help and advice. The car wont be ready for some time yet, i will be try to get over to see it before they put it all together though.
    one question - is it possible to get hold of new floor mats?
    cheers
    Abid

I've not seen new genuine rubber ones, but new reproduction carpet style you can buy on ebay.

So whats the deal with the car then? Have you bought the finished article and now they are starting the restoration???

When the was posted for sale it was going through a resto, the price was for a full restoration of what i was told was a sound car to begin with. It had been sold through CH to the previous two owners.
    The HK story is accurate , it went there, and came back with the last owner i think (or the one before).
    Big money for a CW but I'm confident the trader knows his onions and is reputable. I'm expecting a very good car!!
    As per the thread title , i might be being a total mug but I've taken a view on it ,
    i dont have the time to manage a resto myself- we'll soon find out if I'm right or wrong!!

have you got any pictures you can upload ?

Quote Originally Posted by abiddavid View Post
    When the was posted for sale it was going through a resto, the price was for a full restoration of what i was told was a sound car to begin with. It had been sold through CH to the previous two owners.
    The HK story is accurate , it went there, and came back with the last owner i think (or the one before).
    Big money for a CW but I'm confident the trader knows his onions and is reputable. I'm expecting a very good car!!
    As per the thread title , i might be being a total mug but I've taken a view on it ,
    i dont have the time to manage a resto myself- we'll soon find out if I'm right or wrong!!
    You may turn out to be a very wise man, doing your own Resto takes absolutely ages and plenty of stress 😉.
    I do however know exactly what has been done to my car though, so there is a benefit, good luck with yours, may it be a relaxing wait 👍