Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear problems

Forum User
    I will get on the case and keep you updated. You guys are awesome fair play. Anytime I have a problem so many people try to help!
    Cheers 🍻

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    No, part 2 is just 1 big solid piece of plastic that everything is held into and it sounds like it's doing it's job exactly as it's supposed to do it so it's not an issue in the slightest.

Thinking about it more I'd say FATBOY is right & sounds more & more like it's the spring - no.22 in the pic - at fault. The gearstick will go back to the middle on it's own as the spring on the part that moves up & down on the gearbox will be doing that but the more movement or less resistance than normal will be down to the spring not doing it's job.

A look underneath the car will confirm it. Part 16 is supposed to be clipped onto the selector rod and 1 end of the spring hooks into that and the other end of the spring is supposed to be clipped into the floor of the car, there is a hole there for it.

Part 14 is the full kit to replace it all and the part number is 77 01 468 199 and the guys at RPD should be able to sort it out for you http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/

I'm only able to help because I've been a ham-fisted retard enough times over the years & had to fix stuff I've needlessly broken either through brutal driving or general incompetence

Forum User
    Hello 16v_paddy, I still haven't had chance to fix the gear problem because I've been searching for another part. I'm after another spring like the one you gave me a part number for, but this one is gearbox end (think it does a similar job). I've searched everywhere, I've even bought a dialogys off eBay but it took me two evenings to install 5 dvds and now I don't know how to bloody use the thing! !!!! Would you happen to know the part I'm searching for please?

cheers

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    No, part 2 is just 1 big solid piece of plastic that everything is held into and it sounds like it's doing it's job exactly as it's supposed to do it so it's not an issue in the slightest.

Thinking about it more I'd say FATBOY is right & sounds more & more like it's the spring - no.22 in the pic - at fault. The gearstick will go back to the middle on it's own as the spring on the part that moves up & down on the gearbox will be doing that but the more movement or less resistance than normal will be down to the spring not doing it's job.

A look underneath the car will confirm it. Part 16 is supposed to be clipped onto the selector rod and 1 end of the spring hooks into that and the other end of the spring is supposed to be clipped into the floor of the car, there is a hole there for it.

Part 14 is the full kit to replace it all and the part number is 77 01 468 199 and the guys at RPD should be able to sort it out for you http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/

You need to use the vehicle code in order to find the parts on dialogys which is C57M for the williams

Click on the bit circled in red

This will bring up the box as shown, then double click on the "RENAULT - Standard range" part & you'll then see this

Then double click on "Clio (phase 1 & 2)" which will then bring up this list of vehicle types - every Renault car has 1 of these 4 digit codes to identify it and is part of the cars VIN as well - as mentioned above, for the Williams it's C57M

Then you'll have the main menu of sections for finding the parts you want to look at

For what you're after, you want "38 Hand controls" and "manual speeds"

It will then ask if it's manual or automatic transmission, click on mechanical. After it will ask what clutch type, to which you click on normal and it will bring up this

Then it's just a case of clicking on the number and it will bring up the part number

Attached Images Attached Images

Forum User
    That's great. Thanks buddy. I got as far as the vehicle number and then was stuck because I didn't know it. 👍🏻 That bit you circled, is that the spring?

Quote Originally Posted by waynos83 View Post
    That's great. Thanks buddy. I got as far as the vehicle number and then was stuck because I didn't know it.  That bit you circled, is that the spring?
    No, that's just a pic I already had saved to show something else so didn't need to screenshot then copy & paste into ms paint, just being lazy is all, look at the date in the bottom right corner

For the gearstick assembly you'd have probably got away with selecting anything as those parts will more than likely be the exact same for all mk1's