Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear problems

Forum User

Gear problems

Hi all,

im having problems when changing gear to 1st and 2nd. Don't think it's anything serious. My mechanic thinks it's just a snapped rubber seal under middle section of car. I've added a picture. Where can I get one of these from?
    many thanks

Wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not sure where that's even from underneath the car

What's the exact issue? That bit of rubber wont be anything to do with it as the joints & everything to do with changing gear that can wear out or break is either made from metal or nylon

what is the issue - i don't recognise that part either.

Forum User
    Hey guys.
    Its only a minor issue, but I think I went over speed bump and knocked some parts to do with the gear selector. It's very loose and moving around more than usual. It's only when I try selecting 1st and 2nd, but it feel like if I go too far to the left that something is knocking or blocking my route. I can select all gears fine if I'm careful and don't go to far to the left!!
    we think that a spring has come off and that rubber seal has come off just under the gear stick lever. I've attached 2 pics, one is circling roughly where the rubber band came from and the other is off the web, but I think I'm missing the spring part.
    cheers
    wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images

the spring kit should still be available, i got one last year...
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

Going too far to the left is prevented by the bit that sticks up from part number 2, that's what you're hitting causing the knock and why you have to lift up the collar on the gearstick to get reverse

Does the gearstick return to the middle when you let go of it in neutral? That's what the spring FATBOY mentioned does - no.22 in your pic

In your 2nd pic, the big brown bit with the green smudge on it. When you move the gearstick left & right, all that does is make that part move up and down and with the bit I mentioned previously you can't move it too far to the left so wont hurt anything

unless he has slightly bent / knocked out of adjustment the gear rod arm from lever to box?

Forum User
    Hi 16v_paddy,

thanks for your reply. Do you think il need a new part 2 or is there a fix I can do? What's it called? I don't have a dialogue thing, that was just a picture I found online.
    The strange thing is, that the gearstick does return back to the middle in neutral and there is NO spring present!!! If I have the right spring that is. It's near the front end of the car!

cheers

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    Going too far to the left is prevented by the bit that sticks up from part number 2, that's what you're hitting causing the knock and why you have to lift up the collar on the gearstick to get reverse

Does the gearstick return to the middle when you let go of it in neutral? That's what the spring FATBOY mentioned does - no.22 in your pic

In your 2nd pic, the big brown bit with the green smudge on it. When you move the gearstick left & right, all that does is make that part move up and down and with the bit I mentioned previously you can't move it too far to the left so wont hurt anything

No, part 2 is just 1 big solid piece of plastic that everything is held into and it sounds like it's doing it's job exactly as it's supposed to do it so it's not an issue in the slightest.

Thinking about it more I'd say FATBOY is right & sounds more & more like it's the spring - no.22 in the pic - at fault. The gearstick will go back to the middle on it's own as the spring on the part that moves up & down on the gearbox will be doing that but the more movement or less resistance than normal will be down to the spring not doing it's job.

A look underneath the car will confirm it. Part 16 is supposed to be clipped onto the selector rod and 1 end of the spring hooks into that and the other end of the spring is supposed to be clipped into the floor of the car, there is a hole there for it.

Part 14 is the full kit to replace it all and the part number is 77 01 468 199 and the guys at RPD should be able to sort it out for you http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by northy View Post
    unless he has slightly bent / knocked out of adjustment the gear rod arm from lever to box?
    That will make you unable to get all gears or no gears at all
    Made that little boo boo on the track car by dropping the gearbox when swapping the flywheel, only realised my ****up after I'd put the engine & box back in and tried to reconnect the gear linkage