Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Williams Head

Williams Head

Hi Chaps.

I have a F7R engine that I was in the process of selling but prior to sale I discovered that the head has the core plugs which would indicate visually that it's actually a F7P head. The valves are 32mm which is F7R size. I have had the engine on a stand and given it a good looking over with a mechanic and we both agree that the head appears to have never been disassembled. The torque bolts have never been touched.

Knowing model year changes in manufacturing, would it be possible for the Williams head to have had core plugs?

Can I measure the cams? If so what are the differences with the 2 heads?

The engine was from a Williams 1.

There's no way you can tell if the head hasn't been disassembled or the valves taken out unless you've measured the torque required to undo the bolts & that will only tell you anything if the torque was wrong.

I'm sure there is a way to measure the cams as the 2 engines do have completely different cam profiles but I'm buggered if I know how you'd do that or even find out the dimensions of each

Looking at Dialogys it does show the R head as having core plugs as it will give a part number for a core plug so it is entirely possible that some did have them

But all that is irrelevent if you've measured the valves as that is what's definitive.

Both heads are from the same castings so will be identical to an extent - for it to have holes for core plugs the casting mould will just have bits stuck into it to create the holes and the bits removed to leave blanks

Hi paddy. Thanks for your input. The reasoning behind deciding that the head has not been disassembled is the fact that there's no markings on the torque bolts. Undoing them torques always leaves tell tale signs that at some point someone has been in there. Also there's no signs of extra sealant where applicable.

But by the same logic there will be marks on the bolts from them being done up at the factory

Forum User
    EDIT: sorry, nevermind.
    Last edited by mrodz; 08-01-2017 at 16:39.

Quote Originally Posted by theweekendhaslanded View Post
    Hi Chaps.

I have a F7R engine that I was in the process of selling but prior to sale I discovered that the head has the core plugs which would indicate visually that it's actually a F7P head. The valves are 32mm which is F7R size. I have had the engine on a stand and given it a good looking over with a mechanic and we both agree that the head appears to have never been disassembled. The torque bolts have never been touched.

Knowing model year changes in manufacturing, would it be possible for the Williams head to have had core plugs?

Can I measure the cams? If so what are the differences with the 2 heads?

The engine was from a Williams 1.

I have a Williams 1 with the original engine and it has the core plugs in it.

I've just pulled the engine from my Willy 1 & found the same, it has core plugs in the head. It's the 1st time I've seen them in an R head myself

By contrast I have a brand new R head sat at home which doesn't have core plugs in it

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    By contrast I have a brand new R head sat at home which doesn't have core plugs in it
    presumably the new one is supposedly for R700 then..hence the confusion?

does the megane (714) have them or whatever is in the spider.. 712/720??
    Last edited by Vandella; 19-01-2017 at 21:16.

No, both of the heads I have are F7R 700

The Megane F7R heads are all the same according to Dialogys regardless if it's 710, 712 (Spider) or 714, as it's the bottom ends that differ on those and the heads 1,000,000% don't have core plugs in the spark plug wells