Forum User

Two cars one engine

Hi chaps,

I have a shell with no engine and subframe and suspension from a 1.2 and a donor car with full widetrack, williams engine and box, decent brake setup etc.

What's the easiest way of transferring all the good bits from the donor to the new shell? Can I drop the subframe with all suspension and engine in one and then lift the shell over top? and if so is it any easier doing it this way compared to pulling the engine out the top bearing in mind I have to fit basically everything from the front end of the donor car to the new one?

Bit of a mixed bag tbh, it is ridiculously easy to fit the engine from underneath with the subframe off but getting the subframe off can be a bit of a bastard.
    With no engine in the bay, the usual problems that can occur when removing the subframe aren't problems as access to the captive nuts etc is very easy

Also there's no advantage in swapping the subframes over unless the 1 on the car you want to run is knackered as all mk1 subframes are exactly the same apart from the williams of course.

If I was doing this, I'd deffo be lifting the engine out of the top of the donor car as that eliminates the problems you can encounter with removing the subframe on that car and make life a lot easier if & when that subframe comes off. Then I'd decide which way to go once I had everything in front of me and be able to have a proper look at the condition of everything to help me to decide which way to go about fitting to the new car.

In relation to the subframe, all the widetrack stuff is just the wishbones and ARB which are easy enough to unbolt & fit to the other subframe without removing the whole thing

Forum User
    Ok I think it's the original subframe on the donor car so I don't have much doubt in my mind that it'll be an arse to get off. Thanks for the input paddy.