Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VSA

I'm the latest owner. The car is now in NE England. Hopefully I can get it sorted. Work has already begun. Its not all bad!

So, interior out, and on with removing the tar sound deadening. As you can see there's lots of work to do. Not keen on the previous repair so will be having that replaced. Couple more evenings with the burner and wood chisel methinks.

Said I would never do this again after doing my hillman imp ha ha ha.

(previous repair is to left under the pile of "bits").
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zippy!; 04-12-2017 at 23:15.

I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread

The car is now st the welders. A few parts have begun to arrive, 4 jacking points from Arie PronK in NL, some bits from RPD.

I have been over there stripping more parts off, yesterday got all of the rear end stripped bar the rear beam, only the beam bolts to go and it’s off. No more surprises under there so that’s good. Welder is starting on that today. Managed to snap the threaded bar on the handbrake when backing it off. The offside rear arch has had a great previous repair, there are 80 grit lines in the filler that you can see through the paint in places, but worse still, when I bought the car, the rear bumper protruded to the offside by an inch or so. Turns out they have fitted the bumper retaining bracket completely incorrectly.

Started on the front end, bonnet, headlamps etc off, scuttle area cleared. The panel under the screen that runs down the back of the scuttle has seen better days, you can see why these rot with a sharp forward facing leading edge at the very bottom of the screen. My welder says this won’t be an issue. Front inner wings have seen better days, as have the forward chassis legs and front panel. We are starting at the back end with repairs and working towards the front. Will drop the engine out for the front end sorting, this will give me chance to check out the minor oil leak at n/s of the engine, do the timing belt, and probably shot a clutch in for the ease of it.

Easy to see why a few people have given up on this car, and very likely in years gone by that it would have been scrapped. Just needs the right attention and approach.

I will get some pics up when I have time.

Today I need to order some sills (POV ones from CARZ2), might also get some front inner arches as I have found some of those too.

Good to hear that you are really getting into this resto, nice to see enthusiasm for the project.
    lots of restos never get seen through to the end as people loose interest (or run out of cash). So stick with it, if things go wrong, its always best to walk away and come back to it later. Dont set fire to it.....I was tempted on quite a few occasions 💥.

Mine was a bit of a challenge but I did It throughly and have just got the repainted rolling shell back from the body shop. So its really given me a boost to get it on the road for the Spring.
    I did try to ipload an image but the uploader is not working for me at the moment 🙄

Hi Phil...nice to see it back in your hands and that you are happy with it.

With regard to the uploader I found it didn't like any image over 2mb...so if it is a jpeg you may need to compress it a bit further.

Regards Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ianbirch View Post
    Hi Phil...nice to see it back in your hands and that you are happy with it.

With regard to the uploader I found it didn't like any image over 2mb...so if it is a jpeg you may need to compress it a bit further.

Regards Ian
    Hi Ian,
    thanks its good to have it back.

Re the images because I use an ipad compressing the images is a problem for me. Unfortunately if uploading starts to become difficult, I just can it in. I dont have enough spare time to mess around with computers. I’m one of those people who just want it to work.
    Probably a bad attitude 😉.

I would like to get back to finishing off the #180 Resto thread, but there would be some big uploading time there, I’ll have to sort something out with Northy 👍

Quote Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
    Hi Ian,
    thanks its good to have it back.

Re the images because I use an ipad compressing the images is a problem for me. Unfortunately if uploading starts to become difficult, I just can it in. I dont have enough spare time to mess around with computers. I’m one of those people who just want it to work.
    Probably a bad attitude .

I would like to get back to finishing off the #180 Resto thread, but there would be some big uploading time there, I’ll have to sort something out with Northy 
    Furry muff Phil..will still look forward to your posts pics or no pics.

Regards Ian

Quote Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
    Good to hear that you are really getting into this resto, nice to see enthusiasm for the project.
    lots of restos never get seen through to the end as people loose interest (or run out of cash). So stick with it, if things go wrong, its always best to walk away and come back to it later. Dont set fire to it.....I was tempted on quite a few occasions 💥.

Mine was a bit of a challenge but I did It throughly and have just got the repainted rolling shell back from the body shop. So its really given me a boost to get it on the road for the Spring.
    I did try to ipload an image but the uploader is not working for me at the moment 🙄
    Thanks for the encouragement Phil.

i will see it through, had the same with my Hillman imp, it’s worth the wait, and the hurdles along the way actually make it interesting looking back.

Getting the shell back puts you over the hil, but the real work starts then! Nightmare every time you find s part that is not up to scratch for re-fitting! Take your time and enjoy it.

On with stripping my tailgate this week. Salvaged all but one of the spoiler clips. Busted the pins off the Clio badge, and one off the Renault badge. Need a wiper tool to take the arm off as it’s solid. Just the glass after that and it’s stripped. Will get it blasted.

Also on with cleaning the fuel filler neck up. Got rid of the years of near cement crud gathered at the top, and taking overspray off from a previous rear quarter repair.

Hi Zippy,
    To be fair, it shouldnt be a huge task building the car back up from this point oncevInget the rest of the parts back from the paintshop.
    As it stands the interior, dash loom, engine, gearbox, suspension and electrics are all in place, so its really very much on the home straight and I just need to get on with it 👍