Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Front hub issue - Am I right?

Got all the front suspension and brakes on the car last weekend, after putting the pads in the front callipers I noticed that when spinning the NS disc the pads and disc were binding. The discs are new OE discs from Renault.

To eliminate the possibility of it being a faulty disc I tried a couple of spares that I have and they were the same.

I had borrowed a micrometer from a friend and measured the face if the hub when spun and it showed that there was an area that was not totally true. I marked the point on the hub where it was and then proceded to try each disc on the hub.
    When I bolted up each disc the area that was out of true coincided with where the hub was out of true.

I'm not doubting my measurements what I am wondering is how the hub face can be out of true to this extend. The hub has new bearings, repainted with the paint removed from the flange surfaces. Anyone experienced this before?
    Just dont understand how this can be an issue with the hub.
    I'm assuming that it may be better to buy a new hub and just swap the bearings over?

By the way, this is the original hub from the car.

Ive had problems with rear stub axles being bent, but not with hubs. Is the run out within the guidelines Phil?

In theory Rich, yes.
    I have searched the internet and found acceptable run out to be 0.15mm.
    The gauge I used was inperial and gave -5 thou to +25 thou which is very visable to the eye, I think that this translates to +0.635mm.
    The other disc which looks and spins fine is +/- 5 thou or 0.1524mm.

unfortunately Rich, you know me by now its got to be right. So I think that I will remove the hub carrier and see if I can get it trued up on a lathe. As long as this can be done without taking the hub out of the bearing carrier, I should be OK, as I think that once the bearing is removed from the hub its will damage it.

Nothing is ever easy eh....
    Last edited by northy; 21-10-2016 at 23:22.

You can still buy new hub flanges Phil. You would just need to press out the old inner one.

I also spotted the rear caliper mounting brackets are badly made when you start to measure the offsets of the top and bottom of the carrier.

Might be worth having those trued up on the lath aswell.

(Ps edited your post above to correct the +0.635mm as you missed the '0.' off)

New hubs are readily available & not expensive http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3114893509...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    New hubs are readily available & not expensive http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3114893509...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Yea, cheers paddy, I was looking at the hubs on EBay. I'll probably go for a new one, its possible though that its a faulty bearing as they are the same hubs that came off the car and they were no problem then. The only thing that has changed is that the hub has had new bearings fitted.

By the way, is the hub that you hilighted the correct one, its just that they list Clio Mk2 and not 1's.
    I have found a few others at that sort of price that list the Williams, I'm pretty sure they are all of a similar quality though.
    Thanks for your comment, I can always rely on you to wade in with the tech or mechanical stuff 👍

Are them hubs any different to the Genuine ones Paddy??

I had originally marked this as a potential.http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-GB

However I was going to use some SKF bearings that I have spare if the Renault ones are damaged when the hub is removed from the carrier

Get skf bearings, that's what the Renault bearings are and cheap ones are proven to simply not last on these cars

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-SKF-WHE...wAAOSwVL1WA8LN

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    Get skf bearings, that's what the Renault bearings are and cheap ones are proven to simply not last on these cars

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-SKF-WHE...wAAOSwVL1WA8LN
    Cheers Paddy 👍🏻.
    It looks like my hub problem may be solved now. A friend of mine who is an engineer had a look at the hub today and found that where I had marked the hub as being 0.6mm out on the brake disc perimeter the hub had a high spot of 0.3mm which he took off.
    He remounted the disc and measured it up as 0.1mm out of true on the disc edge, thats probably better than it was originally.