Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Definatly consider what paddy is saying. I hope it's a simple ish fix what ever the outcome

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    Thing is, all your mechanic can do is send the head to a machine shop or engine builder to get it inspected but it is a relatively quick process to test that it's perfectly flat, visually inspected then pressure tested

As for a replacement engine, unless you know it's recently been rebuilt or has plenty of proof that's it's low enough mileage, I personally wouldn't bother & just get yours rebuilt. You need to bear in mind that at best you'll be getting an engine that's 20+ years old and it's going to need money spending on stuff that would be crazy not to have done while it's sat out of the car & so much easier to do like clutch, cambelt, water pump.

I can see things from your perspective though as you're not able to do the hard work of dismantling the engine to send bits off so I'd suggest to go ahead with a compression test and see what the results are. Ignoring the bad results - you will have at lest 1 or 2 if the HG has gone - if there's healthy compression in the other cylinders you'll know that the rest of the engine is in good health & you can get away with just concentrating on the getting the head sorted.

Can't fully remember off the top of my head but somewhere around 160psi per cylinder is what compression a healthy F7R should have
    Compression test and a carbon tester of the coolant are both options.

Is the fan working when it gets hot?

If you can see the coolant top hose depositing coolant into the coolant expansion bottle, that's a good sign of waterpump being ok. Hand revving should see the flow increase.

I suspect HG failure. Cheap fix would be a coolant additive to seal the HG fail area, but this can make a mess of the waterways and not always work!

If you have the tools, an HG change isn't as hard as you might think.

Here is me as a total noob doing an HG change on an F7P: http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/show...-PROJECT-WOBBA

Thanks Wobba....I think it may be the case....check the engine for everything that everyone has said, i hope that it is some thing minor...and I think I had an issue with the fan which is why I put it on all the time....still overheating....

if if I was to drive 50 miles with no traffic, it would be fine, but put my foot down or find traffic it will overheat...

the nightmare is all I want to do this weekend is check the car and work want me to go France.....ahhhhhhhhhh

will keep everyone posted on what is going on. Thanks again everyone

Hi all, it has been a sad week for me...mechanic came down and said not good compression, scared it could be a cracked head, is that in then for the engine? He said a sealant of some sort could work but no promises....dam boys and girls I'm sad

Quote Originally Posted by zaf View Post
    Hi all, it has been a sad week for me...mechanic came down and said not good compression, scared it could be a cracked head, is that in then for the engine? He said a sealant of some sort could work but no promises....dam boys and girls I'm sad
    Do not try any of those 'fix a headgasket' tins of crap!!! Do it properly, take the head off and get it inspected or inspect it yourself. You never know it might just be a blown head gasket, if it is several hours of labour and £100 for the kit? Plus a new timing belt water pump etc ... tah dah engine fixed. As you say it might be a cracked head or worn piston rings but you wont know till you strip it down a bit

More like cracked head gasket, get the head off & get it inspected, anything other than that is pure guesswork & you'd need the head off to confirm the guesses anyway.

What are the compression results on each cylinder?

Under no circumstances use any kind of head gasket repair crap, that WILL wreck the engine

Even if the head is ruined & beyond repair it's quite easily replaceable & the rest of the engine will probably be fine, knowing what the numbers from the compression test will give an indication of this

The mechanic left before I got home but is going to back hopefully tomorrow and I will ask him for all the info... I will add it on and tell me what you think

If you need help in London let me know, I'm based in North East London. I also have plenty of spares for these cars and a Williams engine should you need one.

My money is on head gasket failure.

Thanks Bass any help is good mate, let me get the compression readings and then we have start, once this is done we can go from there. Its a good sign that at least one way or another this little car will be back on the road. And just to chuck it out there...is a low turbo upgrade a cardinal sin? And will I be allowed to still send posts out?