Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Need an engine for my Williams

Hi all

Sorry if the post is in the wrong area just want my car back

150000 miles Clio Williams(289) when I drive it really hard the car overheats, I have looked everywhere for a replacement engine and they come and go so quick never really have a chance to get them. I checked the net and found a stage 1 engine £2500 fitted engine dynamics, I just cannot stretch that far, but I cannot drive the car without thinking it will overheat. So either I need someone that can do what they do at a lower price or a lower mileage engine.

can anyone help.....please want to drive my Clio again

thanks all

zaf

You'd do better to put it into a garage and find out why it's overheating...could be any number of things, faulty thermostat or radiator fan or a number of sensors or switches.

I would think an engine is going to be a minimum £500 and then you've got to fit it.

I'm sure somebody with more specific expertise will be along shortly.

Regards Ian

Forum User
    Join the Facebook group. There are more people on there

Find out why it overheats 1st as just dropping another engine in wont cure the problem

I have an engine that's available. Pm me if your interested.

Thanks everyone...the thermostat was removed still overheating put back, fan is on constant with a switch still overheats,

a good service maybe from the right garage but don't want to spend too much money on a engine with that many miles

I don't know so baffled....anyone got any good but not over the top price in n w london

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by zaf View Post
    Thanks everyone...the thermostat was removed still overheating put back, fan is on constant with a switch still overheats,

a good service maybe from the right garage but don't want to spend too much money on a engine with that many miles

I don't know so baffled....anyone got any good but not over the top price in n w london

cheers
    Theres got to be a exact fault on whats causing the car to overheat, whether it be a blocked radiator, blown head gasket, porous cylinder head etc.. I'd rather find out and go from there, after all it may be cheaper than buying a new engine.

I work on fleet vehicles day in day out and some of them have over 150k on them and they get driven hard ... very hard and to be honest they have more go about them than vehicles the same age with 35k

Have a think and see if you can find a engineering shop that can take a look and diagnose the problem properly

What state is the coolant in? Does it smell of fuel/exhaust gas?
    Is the coolant actually circulating properly? Is the radiator hot? Does the heater inside the car get hot?
    Before you connected a permanent live to the fan, did it kick in on it's own when engine running and when you switched the engine off? If not or a combination of yes & no, you have a sensor fault.

Try 1 of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-COMBUS...sAAOSwqBJXVdHI to see if the head gasket has gone, compression test the engine as well

The cooling systems on these cars are overkill as standard so any kind of overheating means something is broken or not working as it's supposed to and finding the cause is the most important thing to do.
    If you've cooked this engine & you replace it with another 1 without finding the cause 1st, chances are you'll end up cooking the replacement as well

Thanks 16_paddy, at least I can check for the leaks...if everything is ok then can the engine be ruled out...as in it must be another component like the rad ..sorry .I am not a mechanic but I am good with my hands and had experience with cars

The more I read this the more it sounds like what mine was doing a few years ago, I'm suspecting head gasket failure but that's only if the radiator itself is getting hot as well as the temp not dropping at all with the fan on & still climbing.

If it is that, the engine will be fine as long as you don't let it get so hot that the coolant bottle explodes as that's what happened to me and that's when it's possible to warp the head