Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brake pad fitment issue

So far I have managed to sort out most of my problems myself but I wanted to put this to the forum.
    I was fitting the rear pads today on the Williams and straight away the outer pad wouldnt fit.
    I dug out the old Williams pads and they didnt fit either.
    Now I had bought new rear discs for the car so clearly this is what has changed, I removed the discs just to check that everything had been fitted OK and it was as it should be, with the spacer in place, the correct way round.

So it looks like the discs may have a slightly different offset to the Williams ones. I would have checked the difference between the new and old discs, but the old discs are not in the same place as the car at the moment.
    I can get the pads skimmed down by a friend so they will fit OK, I know that the Williams is not hard on rear pads so I dont see it being a problem. However I was wondering if anyone else had encountered a problem like this?

Any feedback appreciated,
    Phil

What discs did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by jamiecrookston83 View Post
    What discs did you buy?
    Good question Jamie, a set on Mintex discs, pads and bearings - Not Renault.
    I'll bpdig the old discs out tomorrow and compare them.

Did you wind the piston back in fully?

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    Did you wind the piston back in fully?
    Its not the piston side Paddy, its the outer pad which sits between the disc and the calliper body. I can get a pad in the piston side no problem. However the gap between the disc and the outer body is set. Thats my problem, its got to be something to do with the disc offset by the looks of things, I'll compare with the original discs tomorrow.

Interestingly, I have exactly the same problem with my 172 Cup, I have just put new discs on that (as the original ones were pretty corroded) and had the same issue with the outer pad fitment. I have had some of the pad material ground off, but clearly I shouldnt have had to do that.

It was only this afternoon when comparing the pads that I realised they both have exactly the same pads and I suppose the same discs too.
    Maybe this wouldnt have happened if I had bought the Gen Ren ones, but there were well priced and a decent brand. I also consided that the rears dont seem to do very much so its hardly a high performance issue.

thanks for the reply, Phil

Same discs pads & calipers on all disc braked clios right up to & including the 182 trophy.................well as near as dammit all the same, only differences in the rear discs are the abs rings and the calipers have a longer arm for the handbrake on the newer ones

Sounds like it might be more of an issue with the pattern parts you're using

Cheers Paddy, I thought that you would be able to answer this, handy to know that they are all the same fitment.
    I thought that I had answered my own question when posting, but you never know if there is something that you may have missed.
    cheers, Phil

I have now solved my problem, which unfortunately means that I need to admit that I am a total tool 😟.
    I just wasnt thinking clearly when I first looked at the callipers.
    Thinking about the problem this morning (away from the car) I realised that the calliper is a floating calliper which will slide to fit the pads and allow for wear. The calliper was a little sticky and didnt want to move initially, hense me struggling to see how to fit the outer pad. However once I gave the calliper a real shove it moved just fine and the pads went in no problem at all.

Feel free to mock........

Brute force wins the day

He He....