Forum User

F7r megane head porting?

Hi all , i am looking for some advice on porting a f7r 710 head. I am reasonably familiar with what is done to a 1.8 or williams head, but no real idea about the megane. The engine use will be fast road . The car will run its standard air intake, and ecu has chip carrier for future remap. Intentions are williams cams in megane head and megane block. Estimated max 170 hp.
    . Off the top of my head i was going to leave intake alone(greater velocity smaller intake) and concentrate on exhaust side .
    Any recomendations/advice? Thanks

Inlet side is massively more important, the megane ports are better than those on the valver/williams head but they're still a mass produced cast item and you can always improve on that. It's madness to just port 1 side of a head as well

The method for doing any head is always the same, take away anything that restricts the flow of gases like the valve guides where they stick into the ports and nice sharp points at where the port splits into 2.

The megane exhaust ports don't need as much work as a valver/williams head would as the megane head doesn't have large bumps on the inside of it

As above. If you are after fun and decent fast road then only do the basics with the exhaust ports as it will provide more accessible torque for you rather than the higher RPM BHP that some engines go for. There is something to be said for a good fast road setup with a good reliable bhp, whilst retaining a more OEM low down torque. Mines quite mad but when I go for a drive in a standard Williams it blows me away with how that grunt is so low down the RPM range!

Any idea of what cams you will use?

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba View Post
    when I go for a drive in a standard Williams it blows me away with how that grunt is so low down the RPM range!
    Have you been sharing 2lives crack pipe or something?

Try driving a megane f7r & williams cammed clio, your head will explode

I'm really interested to see how much decent headwork will gain on a megane lump with williams cams as it's proven to make 165bhp - can't remember the torque off the top of my head - in totally stock form, freshly built of course, stock ecu and a half decent exhaust system.

You've got to remember that the Williams F7R is just something that was quickly cobbled together from off the shelf parts & with a few tweaks here & there. Whereas the Megane F7R picked up from where the Willy lump left off & had some proper development go into it for full scale mass production

I've given up on Crack.

Never tried a standard F7R714 with Willy cams. I don't think 165 is a true figure. Sorry.

I think even with 225 CatCams and verniers and ITB's I made only 170ish, and I had TWO roliling roads checking that figure...and that was with a ported Meg head and bottom end, which Robi in Slovenia had checked out after I sent it to him and was totally mint condition.

So, I ask you, who has been on the crack pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba View Post
    I've given up on Crack.

Never tried a standard F7R714 with Willy cams. I don't think 165 is a true figure. Sorry.
    Oh I can assure you it's a verified, very accurate and very true figure confirmed on 2 seperate ego destroying dynos, SRR and EFI Parts Plus it was the only F7R powered Clio I've ever driven that matches how everyone described how an F7R drives, he's since gone high comp, itb's & 213's.
    I suspect a better 2.5 inch exhaust and skimmed head has come into play a bit as the other Meg f7r with willy cams that I know of made 160bhp on SRR's rollers with a 2 inch system and the EGR still plumbed in.

What ecu was you running, coils or dizzy & who mapped it though? Plus 225's are korma spec at best I bet they're specifically specced & optimised for the willy head as well though, could be wrong but it's not an ureasonable assumption to make that they might not be optimised for the meggy head

Forum User
    thanks for replies peeps i am still unsure whether to put williams cams in or 225 in. are the 225 a big step up from willy cams? i have aquired a megane loom also, and am now debating going coils rather than getting meggy head machined to fit dizzy.
    i feel diy porting will cost me a bomb for grinding tools, measuring tools etc. and the possibility of messing it up :D any ideas how much a port job from say portformance or similar is? any reccomendations? do they come with flow figures graphs etc. thanks

A friend of mine charges about £650 to port a 5 cylinder Volvo head if that's any help.
    Not 100% what other places will charge but you're loking at them spending about 2-3 hours working on each port

Gaz,

Ping me a message on here with your mobile number. I'll add you to whatsapp - I have a couple of questions to ask you.

/Yoz